Installing & Removing B-Model Cowl With Prop Installed

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Re: Installing & Removing B-Model Cowl With Prop Installed

Postby Area 51% » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:01 pm

T41pilot wrote:I still have a nasty oil leak on my engine that I will have to address further next spring. I suspect a leak around a case saver but have to get some adjustable pushrod tubes so I can get the super tin out of the way to see what's going on while the engine is running. I'm tired of pulling the head off every time I thought I had it fixed and didn't.

Are you planning on using the adjustable pushrod tubes for just testing purposes, or will you be keeping them in place? The reason I ask is I had an interference issue between the back two pushrods and overly radiused tube ends. The tubes were cutting into the pushrods.
I solved that problem with adjustable tubes, so I didn't have to remove the heads, but I had to grind quite large clearances in the super tin to clear the tubes. Not all tubes are created equal. I guess I got the "fat" ones.
Area 51%

Re: Installing & Removing B-Model Cowl With Prop Installed

Postby T41pilot » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:58 pm

Are you planning on using the adjustable pushrod tubes for just testing purposes, or will you be keeping them in place? The reason I ask is I had an interference issue between the back two pushrods and overly radiused tube ends. The tubes were cutting into the pushrods.
I solved that problem with adjustable tubes, so I didn't have to remove the heads, but I had to grind quite large clearances in the super tin to clear the tubes. Not all tubes are created equal. I guess I got the "fat" ones

My intent was to just use them for testing purposes since there are mixed reviews on oil leaks caused by them as well. The stock tubes that came with the engine seem to be doing fine. I just make sure I re-expand them a bit before I re-install them. But...if the adjustable ones don't leak after a couple of runs, I'll leave them in.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Previous

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B