Sonex B Windscreen Vents

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Sonex B Windscreen Vents

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:31 am

I purchased snap vents from spruce but due to the curvature of the windscreen in the lower aft corners the snap vents don't fit quite snug on the surface of the windscreen. Does anyone have a recommendation on a vent that might sit a little better on the curved surface?

Peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Re: Sonex B Windscreen Vents

Postby Scott Todd » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:29 am

The little pop open vents from Van's are great. They go in the side of the fuselage. When closed, they are nearly invisible. I think they are much more durable than the window ones. You can see the polished one where I learned about them and you can see the one on my airplane behind the NACA vent. The Van's one was easier to install and provides more air.

https://store.vansaircraft.com/sidewall ... l-kit.html
Attachments
vent2.jpg
vent2.jpg (30.78 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
vent1.jpg
vent1.jpg (45.58 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
Scott Todd

Postby Area 51% » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:12 pm

When it came time to install airflow devices, my wife made it clear she didn't want an eyeball vent blowing a breeze in her face. So, I installed a NACA vent with the eyeball on my side of the airplane, and a Van's vent down by her knees.
My NACA vent won't dislodge the seeds from a mature dandelion, much less keep sweat off my brow. Betty's vent will send a chart to the aft portion of the fuselage.
Since the Van's vents come in pairs, I now have one on my side.
Easy enough to install......but they will test your deburring skills.
Area 51%

Postby pfhoeycfi » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:02 am

Those actually look really good and I'll grab a set. I still have holes in my windscreen to fill though. If I was doing this again I definitely would not put the vent holes in the windscreen...another mistake.

Thanks...

Peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B