Flying from middle

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Flying from middle

Postby new_flyer » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:31 pm

I know that the company has stated that with the middle stick that the B model could be flown from sitting in the middle. I am looking to decide whether to build the Onex or the Waiex-B since typically I will be the only one flying. although the ability to maybe take a friend along at times leans me towards the Waiex. When I toured the factory Mark stated that the B model could be flown from the middle for the added room on each side. he stated that with sitting in the middle you would use the outer rudder pedals on each side. so with this, I have a bunch of questions and great appreciate any feedback from those that have flown from the middle.
- any difficulty in reading the outer rudder pedals on each side?
- any issues with reaching the throttle from either side (if you have dual throttles?
- which seat belt do you use?
- did you install a third one for middle seat flying?
- how comfortable was it since your not centered on a cushion?

Thanks again for any feedback or issues that came up with center seat flying.
Jeremy
new_flyer

Re: Flying from middle

Postby BRS » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:08 am

Hi Jeremy,
I purchased a dual stick sonex-a about a year ago and rebuilt it with a center stick (and much other work). So far I've only a couple of flights on it, and they are my only sonex flights. To my surprise flying from the center felt quite natural and I didn't have to think about the pedals once off the ground.
-For seat belt I had swapped the buckle straps on one side so that the right strap on the right side would fit into the left strap of the left side. So this is what I use. This way the straps work for two people and by stuffing the center straps down under the seat you can sit in the middle and just use the two outside straps.
-I moved the throttle and mixture knobs just under the panel between the knees of the pilot as if he were sitting in the left seat. This works well for both center seat and left seat flying. It can be flown from either position and the forearm can be rested on the left knee.
-My cushion is a single bench style with a slot in the middle for the center seat belt and a cutout for the stick. No discomfort.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby DCASonex » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:18 am

Flying from the middle used to be called flying from the Big Bubba position. More head room in center of canopy. If you are on the large side, this might be the way to go, but if not, the plane flies just fine solo from left seat. Set trim so that it requires a very light force to fly level when in left seat, and it will require a light opposite force when flying with a passenger.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby bnvoss » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:27 am

I agree with David A. I am a Big Bubba (6-2 and 240 lbs). I have flown my A-model Sonex for 15 years and 550 hours, all in the center. Lots of head-room, leg-room, shoulder-room. I reach the rudders and throttle with ease. I guess I have to admit the left flap lever is a small challenge, but doable. I use the outside seat belts and criss-cross the outside shoulder belts for a nice tight fit. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't change a thing.
Bob Vossman, N550SX, Sonex, Jabiru 2200
bnvoss

Postby new_flyer » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:15 pm

Thanks all for the feedback and I'd probably consider myself on the bubba side 5'11" 240 with wide shoulders.
new_flyer

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B