Selecting the Waiex-B

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Selecting the Waiex-B

Postby Spinnetti » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:02 pm

I've been Hmming Hawing for a while about building an AC. The Waiex suits me, but need some shopping help. When I look at the kit price, its the same as the Vans RV7 which is a lot more plane. Is there different level of stuff supplied for these kits? I really like the Waiex, but its no RV-7. Only cost difference is the powerplant and capability? If I get a new Jab or UL, seems like I'm within 10K of a Vans but a used vans would sell for 2-3x a Sonex seems like based on barnstormers perusal (I have the skills to build either). Its like another Wi company - Tormach. I previously had a Tormach 1100 CNC mill, but the price now is virtually the same as the low end Haas, and Tormach is no Haas... I'm Having trouble justifying the lifetime ownership costs and struggling to think that the airframes are of comparable value. Thoughts? This is NOT intended to be any kind of troll or flame war. I've been to the factory, like the product but not sure its the best total cost of ownership once my flying days are over. I'll head up from "deep in the heart of TX" for Oshkosh this year I think to talk to both companies again. From a "mission" standpoint, I'd like to do at least some cross-country, probably more like day or over-nighters.
Spinnetti

Re: Selecting the Waiex-B

Postby N111YX » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:29 pm

You bring up some good points.

Without any research to back up this guess, the Waiex operating costs may likely be half of the RV when factored over hundreds of hours. If that's not an issue, go with the aircraft for your true mission. Speed/comfort/cross country/IFR capability/performance/useful load?

Would I like all of the above SOME of time? Maybe. Personally, when I open my hangar, I'm happy to not see an RV.
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby pappas » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:46 pm

I built 2 Waiex's. A legacy and a B model. Jab 3300 and Aerovee Turbo. I liked them both very much and the people at Sonex are really good. I also built an RV-8 with an IO-360 and am now building an RV-7A with an IO-360. Vans support is also excellent.

The Waiex with either motor is a lot less costly to run, feed, and maintain. Buy a cylinder for a Lycoming, $2k each if you can find them. $2k can completely rebuild the Aerovee but not the Jab! Ranges? $10,000, $19,000, or $35,000-$50,000 for new motors.

All aircraft choices come down to what you will be doing with it most of the time. Mostly we depart from our home airport and return to it within a couple of hours. Moneywise, the Sonex line is best for this. If you regularly, like 2 or 3 times per month, fly between Mass and Ohio, the RV is the better choice. However, long trips in the Sonex are a really fun adventure. A little slower, more fuel stops, and more hindered by weather, (but not by much less).

The toughest choice you will make with your build is the choice to accurately identify how you will actually use the plane 90% of the time. We have all been there. Congratulations, you are one of us! Let us know how you make out.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby lakespookie » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:55 pm

Another thing not to be overlooked is the build method, Pulled rivets are much easier to do and manage compared to squeezed rivets, you wont need any where near as much dimpling, in general a rivet puller is a little easier on the hands than a rivet gun and you make alot less noise building. Asside from that all the items lou mentions are considerations.

I would take a good hard look at your mission and go from there. it will ususally iron out the details.

Every use case is diffrent for me the RV line is probably a better overall fit for my mission set (Weekend cross countries along the western US with a once or twice a year transcontinental flight) and its actually an IFR platform. However Cost of ownership/operation is a big decider and you cant beat the sonex line in that regard., of course i know i am taking the hit on the long term value of the airframe and avionics, and i will probably end up building an RV-10 if my family grows but for now it fits the bill and meets my main priority low cost of operation so that i can do more of those weekend trips.

Liek all thinks YMMV and you have to decide what is more important to you.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby pappas » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:06 pm

True, the first Waiex I built flew 6 months after I received the kit. But that meant working 30 hours in the office and 30 hours per week in the hangar. The RV8 took 18 months but was a partially built QB still working in the hangar until 11 PM most nights after work. The second Waiex took 21 months but I was home every day by 6 pm.

The Sonex is way quicker, way easier, the plans are simpler, pulled rivets are easy, and only require one person. Sometimes you need two people to buck rivets on the RV.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby Scott Todd » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:15 am

I recently finished my third airplane, a Onex. I built a Kitfox with a 912 and a Fisher Youngster with an AeroVee. I never considered the long game or what the resale value was. The Kitfox has been flying 24 years and the Biplane 16. To me, they are paid for and I don't care what they are worth. My Heirs may but I really don't want them to outlive me. I get calls all the time about selling my Kitfox but I"m not really interested. Some people make money and some lose on re-selling airplanes. If you are considering it an investment, maybe you should consider something else. Build what you want because its what you want. If you want one to fly, go buy one. Its cheaper and faster in the end.
Scott Todd

Postby Spinnetti » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:05 pm

Thanks for the well considered replies. Always tradeoffs. I imagine it will be mostly weekend trips to mollify the wife's desire for travel and mine to have an excuse to make airplane noises. Maybe from a cost perspective the Jab isn't a great choice, but I don't fully trust the aerovee. I'd like to see one of those Yamaha snowmobile conversions. Build speed not real important as I'm probably more a builder than a flyer - I always have multiple projects going. Maybe I start with the Waiex and learn if that's enough or if I need more. Is autopilot practical on these, or is that overloading the value prop even further?

Cheers.
Spinnetti

Postby Scott Todd » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:48 am

I always tell potential Home-builders that your selections are not set in stone. Build a Waiex with an AeroVee and learn all that. Fly it for a year and see how it goes. If you still don't trust the engine, sell it and try a Rotax. If you decide that panel you first built isn't quite what you want, make a new one with the triple layer IFR redundancy some people think they need. Get tired of polishing it, take it down one season and paint it. Start traveling a lot and want to try autopilot, buy a pair of servos and give it a go. Decide you really need more space, order an RV-14 and fly the Waiex for the 2-3 years you are waiting for the kit to arrive. Did I mention I have three airplanes?

Homebuilt airplanes are a wonderful hobby/sport/passion. Keep enjoying it for your lifetime and don't ever feel 'stuck' with what you have :)
Scott Todd

Postby Spinnetti » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:05 pm

Scott Todd wrote:I always tell potential Home-builders that your selections are not set in stone. Build a Waiex with an AeroVee and learn all that. Fly it for a year and see how it goes. If you still don't trust the engine, sell it and try a Rotax. If you decide that panel you first built isn't quite what you want, make a new one with the triple layer IFR redundancy some people think they need. Get tired of polishing it, take it down one season and paint it. Start traveling a lot and want to try autopilot, buy a pair of servos and give it a go. Decide you really need more space, order an RV-14 and fly the Waiex for the 2-3 years you are waiting for the kit to arrive. Did I mention I have three airplanes?

Homebuilt airplanes are a wonderful hobby/sport/passion. Keep enjoying it for your lifetime and don't ever feel 'stuck' with what you have :)

lol.. great points, and good advice. I'm getting older so I better get off the fence before my clock runs out.
Spinnetti

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B