Replace fuel tank in finished aircraft

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Re: Replace fuel tank in finished aircraft

Postby pfhoeycfi » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:30 am

T41pilot wrote:I just noticed my tank has buckled worse than it was before even with the new straps fitted quite loosely. I've had varying amounts of fuel in it all summer. It would be a nightmare to get it out now that the plane is done. It is buckling inward and pulling away from the straps so the loose straps on the bottom have no effect. My guess is the tight fit on the sides and top is still to blame. I'm using it as is for now since it doesn't leak but it definitely looks bad. 20 gallon quantity is not accurate anymore. A new type of tank should be made with slightly smaller dimensions sides and top and or a different material should be used. It would be nice if Sonex could come up with a proper solution for this.

I had a closer look and it appears the tank, for the most part, collapsed inward from both the bottom and the top as it expanded against the glareshield along the longerons...much like a milk container crushed from both ends. The tank pulled away from the straps. The aft end also expanded out slightly bending the tank stop bracket that is riveted to the glareshield. A smaller tank is needed.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby DWest » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:57 am

I don't understand why these tanks are expanding/contracting and deforming. Are they vented? What is the purpose of seasoning it? I have several red gas tanks for the mowers (walmart items) and those have never deformed. How do we consider this an airworthy item from Sonex? Got pics of what has happened to the tank?

If it cracks in-flight, you get soaked with fuel. Not to speculate what happened to the Sonex that burned to ashes on the taxiway, hopefully time will tell for the benefit of everyone.
DWest

Postby pfhoeycfi » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:23 pm

It is possible to pull the tank from a finished Sonex B. Interestingly the tank just about took on its original shape once removed. New tank on the way.

Peter
Attachments
20220912_180629.jpg
20220912_180629.jpg (65.35 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby jrs » Tue May 23, 2023 7:42 pm

Question for the group of "B" builders. Has everyone that installed the original tanks had problems with the install. I have the modified straps but it sounds like those don't always fix the problem. Do these tanks always fail ?
jrs

Postby Murray Parr » Thu May 25, 2023 9:44 pm

jrs wrote:Question for the group of "B" builders. Has everyone that installed the original tanks had problems with the install. I have the modified straps but it sounds like those don't always fix the problem. Do these tanks always fail ?

I believe there are some out there that didn't fail although I had mine fail after following the pre seasoning method. It was a massive effort removing it in a completed aircraft especially since it had expanded too much to get back out.

The new tanks are slightly smaller now and that is what I now have and it fits great with no buckling.

My advice would be to give yours a try (you wont know until fuel is in it) and if it buckles, reach out to Sonex for advice. If it is not too late, try to keep the build process with potentially removing it in mind.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby jrs » Fri May 26, 2023 8:13 pm

Thanks for the pointer. I have been watching the various solutions from Sonex and have not tried installing the tank yet. Thinking that I might try a temporary assembly and then put gas in the tank. Really hadn't thought of doing that until I read your post. Thanks again.
jrs

Previous

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B