B model center yoke - Y or straight pipe?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Re: B model center yoke - Y or straight pipe?

Postby BRS » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:59 pm

DuncanK wrote:... However, I like to write stuff down when I'm flying (especially during the first few hours) and I like to hold the stick while writing (the bumps in AZ always upset whatever trim is set!).

Fly from the right seat ;-)

Years ago I wanted a Y stick on my gyroplane. The addition of a few mountain bike "bull horns" did the trick. Might not work though in a Sonex. I eventually drilled them for a PPT and wrapped them with handle bar tape.
Attachments
Pre-rotator-lever.jpg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby daleandee » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:24 pm

pappas wrote:I am also in Arizona, so, as far as the bumps upsetting the trim goes....Autopilot Baby!! :-)

I have installed the Trio EZ auto-pilot unit. It's a single axis (wing leveler) but it will track a GPS course, do intercepts, and has a function to do a 180º turn back (actually it turns back 175º) if you should get stupid and fly into something you can't see through. Without the GPS feed it does basic wing leveling duties which can make it much easier to write stuff down as you approach a field. I've also done a bit of practice of learning to write with my left hand ... it's quite readable but don't know how it would look in turbulence.

I have the straight center stick. Sometimes it's easier to just sit in the center and use the outside pedals. 8~)

FWIW,

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby builderflyer » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:51 am

DuncanK wrote: however, I like to write stuff down when I'm flying (especially during the first few hours) and I like to hold the stick while writing (the bumps in AZ always upset whatever trim is set!). With the center stick I find that my left arm is stretching across where I want to write (or at least making writing difficult,)

Better yet, get yourself an inexpensive digital micro recorder and patch it into the intercom system. Then you can be as wordy as you like while flying and transcribe the important stuff when you're safely back on the ground. I did all of my test flying in this manner and wouldn't have it any other way. Who wants to be distracted with pencil and paper while flying a plane with neutral stability anyway.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby DuncanK » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:17 pm

I flew today with my (new) Y stick, which is basically the straight stick with a Y at the top, not like the Sonex Y which has a large fore (or aft) angle at the Y. I liked it.
It was certainly easier to fly with the left hand (while writing etc. with the right). The bottom of the Y felt comfortable to rest a couple of fingers in cruise rather than having to hold the stick, but I didn't fly for long. For general flying, including take-off/landing, I didn't notice a difference from the center stick. Or to put it another way, I didn't even think about it being a Y or straight, it just felt fine.
Its been stated that you will at some time have to get under the panel and the Y will get in the way. While I think this is a valid consideration, during build I installed access panels on both the left and the right side of the fuselage around the area of the rudder pedals, so I am able to access under the fuel tank from the side. Also, I made the glare-shield behind the tank removable so I can access the back of my panel from above (really useful).
DuncanK

Postby DuncanK » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:10 am

I had a welder create a Y stick for me, (the V part is a little less than +/- 30 degrees from the vertical, similar to the Sonex stick, but the fore and aft angle is zero, ie like the straight stick).
I've flown it once, and in general flying I did not notice any different from the center stick, in fact I forgot about it being a Y. It was easier to fly with the left hand, having to reach a couple of inches less was notably easier. Also, although early days, it seemed to me that I could cruise with just a just a finger or two resting comfortably at the bottom of the V part of the Y. I notice no difference in terms of getting in and out of the cockpit. Overall (so far) I think it is an improvement. Duncan
DuncanK

Previous

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B