Where are the instructions?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Where are the instructions?

Postby dboeshaar » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:24 pm

I'm a new Sonex Model B builder.

I built 90% of a Van's RV-9A and with the Van's kits, you get instructions and plans.

With Sonex, you get plans.

For the tail, I see many YouTube videos, and I bought the HomeBuiltHelp videos (Yes, I know they are on YouTube but I want to support the company)

But what next?

Do I just start with page one of the plans, and move forward?

I do see tips and tricks on YouTube but I'm pretty skilled so far. And I see Bryan Cotton has done an EXCELLENT job documenting his build. Thanks Bryan!

So, just follow the plans in order and keep Bryan as my best Sonex Buddy?
==============================================================
David Boeshaar
KWHP
TDAIRCRAFT.COM
My Greatest Fear: What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
dboeshaar

Re: Where are the instructions?

Postby dbdevkc » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:30 am

If you have the complete set of plans, look for "Drawing System Description". For my legacy Waiex, that is WIX-B02. Also if you have the complete set, look for the Drawing Tree. In my set that is WIX-B03. That shows all of the drawings with their numbers and titles, with the build sequence.

Essentially, you start from the bottom up. So for the tail, start with the highest tail number sheet and work your way up to #1.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:02 am

Welcome to the Sonex world David! As other have said, the assembly sequence of the Sonex is a little different and the plans are all we get. Once you get used to it though, it makes sense and assembly is logical.

Think of it this way. If you start at the "bottom" of the assmebly tree "branches", you will build or gather the smallest sub assembly parts and prep them for the next step. Once the parts are made or gathered, go to the next box "up" and you will take parts to fabricate a sub assembly. Remember that a lot of the parts have mirrored twins for left/right sides.

Once the sub assembly is done, go to the next box and you will take the parts you've been working on and make a bigger part. This goes on and on until the entire sub assembly is completed.

I don't have specific page numbers to reference, but it's something like this:

[completed rudder]
|
[skinning rudder]
|
[rudder skeleton riveting]
|
[rudder skeleton ribs]

See how you start at the bottom and work your way up? Does this make any sense at all?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:22 am

Thanks David! I tried to reply yesterday but the forum was dead. Sonex has an instruction sheet on using the plans under the General category.
https://www.sonexaircraft.com/instructi ... /#gen-info

Sonex plans are built back to front. When you get to page 1 you are done!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby dboeshaar » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:04 pm

Thanks everyone! I get it now.
I also printed off the Sonex Builder's guide.

My fears guide my building. What if I goof with part X? For example, I was nervous on how to get the elevator perfectly straight. and then how to get the elevator and horizonal stabilizer together perfectly straight. So, I will now have these rules:

1. Read the plans carefully.
2. Follow the plans carefully
3. When in doubt, pause. Go to this forum, go to web sites, go to YouTube.
4. Review carefully and follow the plans!

Tail is almost done. Waiting on ship date for the rest of the stuff.

Sonex Tri-Gear
Rotax 912 IS
Review options for panel

So, is a paint scheme copyrighted? I live near Burbank airport and it would be a blast to taxi past the Southwest terminal with a Southwest paint scheme.
David Boeshaar
KWHP
TDAIRCRAFT.COM
My Greatest Fear: What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
dboeshaar

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:22 pm

I made a couple bad mistakes along the way. Still better than paralysis by analysis. If you screw up, get more parts and do it over. The psychological part is the hardest with respect to recovery.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mike.smith » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:55 pm

As someone who scratch-built a Sonex, and is currently building an RV-7, I can say one thing about the Sonex plans. The best in the business! No dig on Vans, but their plans are hard to follow for the small details, and I find it odd that some critical information is buried in the "instructions" rather than shown plainly on the plans.

As others have stated, just go from high to low on the plans page numbers. There are instructions on some of the pages, when something needs to be explained in detail. If you have a question, reach out to Sonex or to this group.

Mine is a legacy Sonex, but my Kitlog site (and others) may be helpful:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index.php ... roject=698

Or Jeff Shultz's: http://www.sonex604.com/
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby BradPayne » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:52 pm

I'm also building a Sonex-B and this is my third airplane build. The plans leave a lot to be desired in comparison to the other builds. The best recomendations I have is:

1) Pull the staples on the plans and reorder the plans the reverse of how they are sent to you. I have never seen something as absurd as page 1 of the plans or directions being the finished product and the last page being step 1.

2) Use Sonex Support when you need. - The guys that answer the support emails from their website are fantastic.

3) find a friend with an A model. You may need to reference their drawings once in a while since Sonex has removed dimensions on many of the parts in the B model plans.
BradPayne

Postby mike.smith » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:33 pm

As I get further into my RV-7 build, let me say again, the Vans instructions SUCK! I bitch about them on my Kitlog site almost every day. Other builders, further along in their RV-7 builds, tell me they only get worse, not better. I never had any trouble following the Sonex plans. They told me everything I needed to know. The RV drawings leave a lot to be desired, and the instructions just plain suck. The Sonex plans are excellent, by contrast. I built a legacy model, so I can't speak to differences in the B-model plans.

Rant over...
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby rk2436 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:46 am

The newer Vans plans RV 10-12-14 are much improved. Its almost a step by step process. I’ve built 3 different manufacturers kit planes and every style of plans are different. Not bad just different. But the Sonex plans definitely come in last as far as step by step type instructions.
Bob K
Orig builder kit 1143
Now flying RV-12
Evergreen Park,Il
rk2436

Next

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B