Save $700 to $800

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Save $700 to $800

Postby BobDz » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:40 am

I got really tired of waiting for Sonex to get my hardware kit. And just so you know, its not a "supply chain " issue. Of the 1750+ pieces on the hardware list, only 5 were not in stock and were readily available. One i found at Home Cheapo. Mark had mailed me a list (not convinced that it is complete/ correct because of some other missing parts issues), and I used that to place an order directly with Spruce. At Spruce's retail price, for all 1750+ pieces, the cost was $800 cheaper.

Even if you don't have the list, it's very easy to go through the plan, highlight the hardware notes, and order the parts. Another advantage to doing it that way is that you can order the parts for the kit that you're working on. I'm currently trying to work on my fuselage. I only need hardware for the fuselage. At the moment I don't need, or even want, hardware for the wings.

It really doesn't need to be $1595.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Re: Save $700 to $800

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:55 am

Interesting. On the A model they didn't supply the hardware. Aircraft Spruce had a Sonex hardware kit based on the list. Oddly I got two tailwheels in my kit. That's ok as we will wear out the first one. We still bought plenty of hardware after the kit, especially shorter bolts than what was called out in the plan.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Save $700 to $800

Postby BobDz » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:07 am

I like the idea of them supplying a hardware kit, but their execution leaves a lot to be desired. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

On the plus side, my hardware/ spreadsheet project was a lot of fun. I'm thinking of taking it a step further and organizing it per plan page. That might be a good resource for builders new to the game.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B