Sonex fuel level probe and MGL calibration

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Re: Sonex fuel level probe and MGL calibration

Postby bvolcko38 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:59 am

Are you getting out of calibration mode? And saving settings?
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby Murray Parr » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:41 pm

bvolcko38 wrote:Are you getting out of calibration mode? And saving settings?

I have the MGL explorer lite and I exit the calibration screen and all other screens before shutting power off. I checked with MGL and they said I am doing that correctly. I believe the probe is recalibrating its zero each time it powers up because when I calibrate the Zero fuel level it reads 88 on the IEFIS and that is the new reading I see on the IEFIS after I cycle power even if the tank now has fuel in it. If you shut it down with 1/4 tank it will read empty until you put another 1/4 tank in it (now you have 1/2 tank as empty) you will start to see it increase as you add more fuel.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby 13brv3 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:27 pm

There are two different calibrations to be aware of. The Princeton unit is supposed to be pre-calibrated for most uses, but mine certainly wasn't. In the link Michael gave on the previous page, there is a calibration procedure listed for when you have to shorten the probe for a Onex. I had to run that calibration, even though I chose not to shorten my probe. If you haven't tried that procedure, it would be worth a shot.

Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Murray Parr » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:06 am

13brv3 wrote:There are two different calibrations to be aware of. The Princeton unit is supposed to be pre-calibrated for most uses, but mine certainly wasn't. In the link Michael gave on the previous page, there is a calibration procedure listed for when you have to shorten the probe for a Onex. I had to run that calibration, even though I chose not to shorten my probe. If you haven't tried that procedure, it would be worth a shot.

Rusty

Yes, I have done that many times. The last advice from the princeton guy was to run that (shorten the probe) calibration after I set the mode (to 1S). Next time I go to the hanger I will try that because I have always calibrated it before setting the mode instead of after. Hopefully that might work
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby Murray Parr » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:00 pm

Murray Parr wrote:
13brv3 wrote:There are two different calibrations to be aware of. The Princeton unit is supposed to be pre-calibrated for most uses, but mine certainly wasn't. In the link Michael gave on the previous page, there is a calibration procedure listed for when you have to shorten the probe for a Onex. I had to run that calibration, even though I chose not to shorten my probe. If you haven't tried that procedure, it would be worth a shot.

Rusty

Yes, I have done that many times. The last advice from the princeton guy was to run that (shorten the probe) calibration after I set the mode (to 1S). Next time I go to the hanger I will try that because I have always calibrated it before setting the mode instead of after. Hopefully that might work

I finally got it working. Seems it does matter if you change the mode (1S) you have to recalibrate (the calibration used when shortening probe) after the mode change, not before. Hope this helps all the others that have gone through this frustraion
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Previous

Return to Electrical System