Earth X

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Earth X

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:14 am

My new Sonex has come with an Earth X, Model ETX 900, battery. I have no prior experience with this new generation of battery and am hoping you will be able to answear thje following;

In the event of a flat battery, is it okay to "jump start" the earth x from a lead acid battery?

I have a 12V fuel transfer pump, that I previously powered from my old aircrafts lead acid battery (through an external plug) - Is it okay to do the same thing from the Earth X?
Skippydiesel

Re: Earth X

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:22 am

No, yes. Also get the right charger and plug it in between flights.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:12 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:No, yes. Also get the right charger and plug it in between flights.

No to jump start from lead acid battery - bit of a weak point - could be stranded out back with no hope of getting the donk to turn over.

Yes to powering my refuelling pump - Great news! I have long since become disenchanted with holding a 20 L fuel drum aloft as my aged muscles start to shake and fuel sprays all over the aircraft.

Got the special charger already but why plug in after every flight?
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:29 pm

You are using the aircraft battery for refueling? Why not your car battery? That should have a lot more reserve.

https://earthxbatteries.com/faqs/

I've seen an earthx battery die due to charge issues. It's not an uncommon practice to just charge it after each flight for longevity. The optimate charger has an optimize mode to balance the cells.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby XenosN42 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:35 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:You are using the aircraft battery for refueling? Why not your car battery? That should have a lot more reserve.

I've seen an earthx battery die due to charge issues. It's not an uncommon practice to just charge it after each flight for longevity. The optimate charger has an optimize mode to balance the cells.

I agree 100% with Bryan. I attach the Optimate charger after every flight less than one hour. My EarthX battery is over 5 years old and still holds a charge to about 13.4 volts. I have a little access door installed in the cowl that allows me to quickly connect the charger.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby BRS » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:47 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:... I have no prior experience with this new generation of battery ...

The one thing that has helped me with the EarthX batteries (I have an ETX680C in the sonex and two in the Sportsman with an IO-360) is to charge the battery at idle before take-off. On the Sonex it takes me about 4 minutes - the oil is not even up to temp. If you start the engine on a partially charged battery (which it will easily do) the take off right away (ie. oil was already warm) you risk the chance of over taxing your alternator if you have a VW variety (especially RevMaster) or in the case of the Sportsman, It will easily exceed 60 amps charge current which is the limit of the 680 (not sure about the 900).

These batteries have a rather low internal resistance.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:49 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:You are using the aircraft battery for refueling? Why not your car battery? That should have a lot more reserve.

Yes I can use my vehicle or any charged lead acid battery when at home/base but what to do when away on a trip?

I carry 20L X 2 collapsible bladders for fetching ULP from the nearest (quality) fuel station. My re fueling pump has been specially adapted to facilitate the use of these bladders. By using the pump I can guarantee no spillage and no strained muscles.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:53 pm

I agree 100% with Bryan. I attach the Optimate charger after every flight less than one hour. My EarthX battery is over 5 years old and still holds a charge to about 13.4 volts. I have a little access door installed in the cowl that allows me to quickly connect the charger.[/quote]

I will have an inspection hatch/door made for my cowling - it will allow pre flight inspection of gascolator and have an "Anderson Plug" for battery charging or external use (ie refueling pump)
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 pm

BRS wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:... I have no prior experience with this new generation of battery ...

The one thing that has helped me with the EarthX batteries (I have an ETX680C in the sonex and two in the Sportsman with an IO-360) is to charge the battery at idle before take-off. On the Sonex it takes me about 4 minutes - the oil is not even up to temp. If you start the engine on a partially charged battery (which it will easily do) the take off right away (ie. oil was already warm) you risk the chance of over taxing your alternator if you have a VW variety (especially RevMaster) or in the case of the Sportsman, It will easily exceed 60 amps charge current which is the limit of the 680 (not sure about the 900).

These batteries have a rather low internal resistance.

My new Sonex will initially be "parked" at an airfield with no accessible mains electricity (for battery charging).

I do have a very heavy 3.5kva generator that I could take to the field but would rather not if a more convenient recharge/top up system is available.

An Earth X video I saw showed one of those clever little hand held/glove box battery packs (with the Earth x brand on it) being used to "trick" a fully discharged Earth X battery into accepting a charge. Later I read a specific instruction (from Earth X) against using such devises. All very confusing.
Skippydiesel

Postby BRS » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:50 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:
BRS wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:... one of those clever little hand held/glove box battery packs

I have one of those EarthX jump pacs https://earthxbatteries.com/product/etx-jmp12-24/. I also have two similar pacs from Costco that I keep in the cars. They work very well and if you get caught out with a dead battery they are golden. The nice thing about the EarthX version is that it can do 24v or 12v also it is LifePo4 which means that it is much less of a hazard to carry in the plane.

I don't know about any problem with jumping a discharged ETX680 with one. I've had to do it once. It is important to be sure that any wiring you use is adequate for the job. If in doubt, give them a call. I've always found EarthX helpful on the phone.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Next

Return to Electrical System