Fuse box behind panel

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Fuse box behind panel

Postby gammaxy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:58 pm

I've been weighing the pro's and con's of breakers and fuses. I like the idea of fuses, but want to keep them close to the switches so I don't end up with wires all over the place. One idea is to attach the fuse panel to the underside of the glare shield between the instrument panel and fuel tank. The fuses would be the style that light up when blown.

BUS_Tns_15600-atc-blade-fuse-panels_220.jpg
BUS_Tns_15600-atc-blade-fuse-panels_220.jpg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 2274 times

Obviously, I don't intend to access them very often, but would like to be able to duck my head under the panel and check for blown fuses and replace them if necessary. Does this sound like a pipe dream? Will the stick prevent me from being able to lean under the panel and look up at the glareshield? Is it just physically impossible without laying on my back in the seat?

Feel free to convince me that CBs are the way to go or that mounting automotive fuses directly on the panel will make my cockpit look awesome.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Re: Fuse box behind panel

Postby BK9977 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Mine is the same fuse block you posted in the pic. It is mounted just as you describe with the light up fuses. A small mirror makes a quick check easy. The FAA AW examiner had no problems with my setup. He was able to get a good enough view sitting on the longeron and peeking under the panel.

However, to do any major work like rewiring would require laying on your back on the spar tunnel. Also, install the stick(s) AFTER you get everything wired behind the panel. I had to take mine off to make it more comfortable to get under there.
BK9977

Re: Fuse box behind panel

Postby sonex892 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:57 am

Just an idea but you could place those fuses under the panel on a hinged bracket. Similar to what I did for the 12v bus connections. Apologies for the blurry photos

Steve Sonex 892

IMG_1929.JPG
IMG_1929.JPG (373.53 KiB) Viewed 2246 times

IMG_1928.JPG
IMG_1928.JPG (459.98 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
sonex892

Return to Electrical System