Ring Terminals

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Ring Terminals

Postby BobDz » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:26 pm

I've been shopping ring terminals for my future electrical system. Comparing apples to apples (same wire size, same stud size) I find that "aircraft" terminals are 2 to 2.5 times higher in price than a high grade "marine" terminal. Both are nylon, both are clad copper. But the marine type are crimped with heat shrink tubing. Which I think is a better option for less than half the price. If I bought "aircraft" terminals I would add heat shrink tubing to the connection.

A question for those who are smarter than me, any reason why I couldn't use " marine" quality?
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Re: Ring Terminals

Postby BRS » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:55 pm

I have used Marine quality and feel the shrink tubing does a nice job holding the wire and keeping it from breaking at the terminal. The AMP terminals have a second crimp area to hold the wire on the insulation. Seems that is the same purpose as the heat shrink which is to keep the wire from bending at the crimp. A possible down side on the marine terminals is that they do such a good job holding the wire, especially if it is the kind with water proofing glue, that if there was a bad/loose crimp, giving it a tug will not reveal the fault.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby BobDz » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:08 pm

BRS wrote:I have used Marine quality and feel the shrink tubing does a nice job holding the wire and keeping it from breaking at the terminal.

Brock
I have a Wirefy ratcheting crimper that I dearly love. Best crimper I have ever used. That immediately took me to the Wirefy website and I think I am going to ultimately use their brand. If I do, I'll have dozens to offer up to my fellow EAAers.

In the SportAir Online electrical course they did show the double crimp - one on the wire and one on the insulation. I just can't convince myself that it is worth it. I dont see my wirring being in any kind of high stress environment. Even if I did go with the double crimp, I would still add heat shrink tubing. It makes a very nice looking connection. I did it that way on my son's van build.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
N624DZ (reserved)

BobDz

Postby builderflyer » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:26 am

I have a complete set of crimper tools for all types of connectors, only aircraft quality connectors. But after properly crimping a wire in a connector verified by a hard tug on the wire, it still can come loose sometime later. So now in addition to crimping, I solder all connections, even D-sub pins. With soldering though it's important that the wire(s) be supported not far from the connector to avoid a "fatigue" type failure of the wire where it meets the connector. For most connector types, I'll also install heat shrink tubing for insulation and support purposes. Overkill? Possibly, but I sleep better.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby BobDz » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:36 am

builderflyer wrote:I have a complete set of crimper tools for all types of connectors, only aircraft quality connectors. But after properly crimping a wire in a connector verified by a hard tug on the wire, it still can come loose sometime later. So now in addition to crimping, I solder all connections, even D-sub pins. With soldering though it's important that the wire(s) be supported not far from the connector to avoid a "fatigue" type failure of the wire where it meets the connector. For most connector types, I'll also install heat shrink tubing for insulation and support purposes. Overkill? Possibly, but I sleep better.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

Art

I don't believe that it is overkill at all.

What defines "aircraft quality connector"? Is it the double crimp?
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
N624DZ (reserved)

BobDz

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:57 am

BobDz wrote:

It's the 2-2.5X higher price! I've been guilty of using some cheap lugs and I've also had a couple of issues. Next Waiex that is one place that I'll not go cheap.

I worked at Sikorsky for many years and we pretty much always uses crimp connectors instead of solder, mainly for fatigue. So I avoid solder wherever I can, but really support it well if I need to solder.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BobDz » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:42 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:
BobDz wrote:

It's the 2-2.5X higher price! I've been guilty of using some cheap lugs and I've also had a couple of issues. Next Waiex that is one place that I'll not go cheap.

I worked at Sikorsky for many years and we pretty much always uses crimp connectors instead of solder, mainly for fatigue. So I avoid solder wherever I can, but really support it well if I need to solder.

So, on your next build, would you use aircraft quality terminals? Or high quality "marine" type terminals?
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
N624DZ (reserved)

BobDz

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:23 pm

I'd use aircraft quality terminals. I respect other views, but that is what I'd do.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BobDz » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:36 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I'd use aircraft quality terminals. I respect other views, but that is what I'd do.

In the end, it's only a few bucks as there aren't 400 terminals on a kitbuilt. It's just the 2.5 price multiplier when the word "aircraft" appears in the description that irritates me.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
N624DZ (reserved)

BobDz

Postby builderflyer » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:36 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:

No one should deny that a soldered connection is potentially electrically better than a crimped connection, especially over the long term. But when a "business" situation is involved, the cost benefit ratio sometimes reigns supreme. The "fatigue" issue is easily dealt with but with the additional time spent "soldering" and "supporting", the added cost is likely prohibitive.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #3300,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Next

Return to Electrical System