First Start

Rotax 912 series discussion.

First Start

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:23 am

Exciting moment - I started my brand new Rotax 912 ULS for the first time yesterday.

Everything went very well:

Ambient 14C
    Engine fired immediately & ran smoothly. Engine speed increased as it warmed up.
    Idling too fast, 2300 rpm - easy fix.
    EGT's almost equal - this should come good with pneumatic carburettor balance.
    Good oil & fuel pressure
    Took engine to oil temp 57C & coolant 60C
    Charge 12.6V 2 amps

Post engine inspection reveled a small fuel leak, from the connection to a fuel flow sensor - refitted with gas grade thread tape - fixed!

Will do a rough idle speed adjust down & check hydraulic lifters are all fully "primed" with appropriate clearance as per Rotax "purge" instructions.

Next start, will be with cowling fitted and once warmed, will fine tune the idle & do the pneumatic balance.

The excitement is almost too much to bear.
Skippydiesel

Re: First Start

Postby xeriotti » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:36 pm

Show us that baby!!! :)
xeriotti

Postby daleandee » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:24 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:Exciting moment - I started my brand new Rotax 912 ULS for the first time yesterday.

Post engine inspection reveled a small fuel leak, from the connection to a fuel flow sensor - refitted with gas grade thread tape - fixed!

Good deal on the first start! Great engine and very reliable.

BTW ... I'm not a fan of using any kind of tape (especially Teflon) on fuel fittings as pieces can be torn loose and get into the fuel system. A small piece can clog an orifice and cause problems. Silicone sealer on fuel lines is also a horrible idea.

Permatex makes Aviation sealant especially for fuel line fittings.
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 pm

I used ez-turn per Joe Norris' recommendation. I think the Aerovee manual also calls out teflon paste. I also avoid teflon tape except for house plumbing and shop air.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:36 am

Congrats on the first run! It sounds like it was as successful as you could ever hope for. The flying Rotax thread has been pretty lonely recently :-)

Rusty (912UL Onex)
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:25 pm

13brv3 wrote:Congrats on the first run! It sounds like it was as successful as you could ever hope for. The flying Rotax thread has been pretty lonely recently :-)

Rusty (912UL Onex)

Hope to add to the "flying Rotax thread" within the next few weeks. Aircraft essentially complete - just trying to get coolant temperatures under control.
Skippydiesel

Return to Rotax