Cooling System

Rotax 912 series discussion.

Re: Cooling System

Postby Kai » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:52 am

I had my twin radiator setup especially made in the Check Republic- ordred them through Edge Performance: we´re practically neighbours. Maybe a little too far away for you :-). The oil cooler is the largest $$$$$$€€€€€€€ Rotax 912-series type. It overcools in summer- in winter it takes my poor luboil straight to the north pole. For the time being I solve this with different sizes of seasonal inlets in front of my cooler, but it is only bordertline satisfactory, and there must be an oil thermostat in my future- I just need to find some free, unoccupied space under the bonnet :-(
Kai

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:51 pm

[quote="Kai"]I had my twin radiator setup especially made in the Check Republic- ordred them through Edge Performance:

I thought Edge/Thomas Hauklien was in Norway - I have emailed him about the double radiator installation in his Sonex

The oil cooler is the largest $$$$$$€€€€€€€ Rotax 912-series type.

As is mine - I am beginning to wonder if mine has some sort of internal restriction, it should do better than 110C.

there must be an oil thermostat in my future-

I have an unused (never had oil through it) one - happy to exchange it for a nice pair of radiators :)
Skippydiesel

Postby Kai » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:20 am

Skippydiesel wrote:
Kai wrote:I had my twin radiator setup especially made in the Check Republic- ordred them through Edge Performance:

I thought Edge/Thomas Hauklien was in Norway - I have emailed him about the double radiator installation in his Sonex

The oil cooler is the largest $$$$$$€€€€€€€ Rotax 912-series type.

As is mine - I am beginning to wonder if mine has some sort of internal restriction, it should do better than 110C.

there must be an oil thermostat in my future-

I have an unused (never had oil through it) one - happy to exchange it for a nice pair of radiators :)

Correct: Thomas is in Norway- so am I.

Getting hold of an oil thermostat is not my issue here- Edge has stacks in stock. Finding some space for it where it does not require rearrangement of the whole instrallation, is.

I enclose a pic of my predicament as it looked during the final stages of installation, just to gain some symphaty for my ordeal to come :-)
Attachments
244F97F5-4F96-4158-ADFB-134E4A54DF3A.jpeg
Kai

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:35 am

Hi Kai,

Do you have contact details for the Czech builders of your radiators?

AND

Photos of your cowling showing air in/out?
Skippydiesel

Postby Kai » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:06 am

Skippydiesel wrote:Hi Kai,

Do you have contact details for the Czech builders of your radiators?

AND

Photos of your cowling showing air in/out?

Rads were ordered through Edge- I don´t know the name of the manufacturer. But getting these things from Edge seems a bit over the top for you- with a thriving competition car industry like you have Down Under it should be fairly easy to get hold of something here?

Cooling air IN openings are per standard Sonex cowling details, slightly enlarged to accomodate the rads.

Cooling air OUT openings are also per Sonex standard. In addition SIDE openings have been incorporated according to drawings I got from Sonex Tech.

BUT: in order to accomodate the fairly hefty Rotax turbo muffler, the cowling as such had to be made slightly fuller towards the front, making the Sonex cowling fairly useless- and since I hate composite work even more than the dentist, I built my new one with sheet 1mm Al7075T6.

A pic will give you an idea of the end result, which is coming close to 100 hrs in the air.
Attachments
94F0FB76-D2F9-4FC4-9519-10532C9895D6.jpeg
Kai

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:39 pm

Veeeery Sonex nice Kai,

"thriving competition car industry like you have Down Under" - you would think so. I have written (e mail) to no less than eight custom radiator makers. So far, I have had a flat refusal on the grounds of not being insured for aviation work (?????) - another said they did not have to materials/tools for such small radiators (but did recommenced another provider) - I live in hope, that one or more of the remaining half dozen may be willing to quote on the job.
Skippydiesel

Postby daleandee » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:52 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:So far, I have had a flat refusal on the grounds of not being insured for aviation work (?????) -

Many moons ago I owned a Quad City Challenger 11 CWS that used a Gates PowerGrip GT2 belt for the redrive. When you ordered one or went in to pick it up you never said what it was for. Many used the term "airboat" for the same reason you mention.

On my Sonex I wanted the fiberglass spinner to be chromed. I found a few companies that could do it but all said "absolutely not" if it's part of an aircraft.
daleandee

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:04 pm

Problemo! -

The few installations I have seen with the double/forward coolant radiators, have been aftermarket fuel injected 912 variants - mechanical fuel pump is redundant/deleted.

I will not be removing my fuel pump any time soon - this pretty much makes what I saw as being quite a straightforward installation way more complicated on the right side of the gearbox. - Such is life & homebuilt aircraft!
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:06 pm

daleandee wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:So far, I have had a flat refusal on the grounds of not being insured for aviation work (?????) -

Many moons ago I owned a Quad City Challenger 11 CWS that used a Gates PowerGrip GT2 belt for the redrive. When you ordered one or went in to pick it up you never said what it was for. Many used the term "airboat" for the same reason you mention.

On my Sonex I wanted the fiberglass spinner to be chromed. I found a few companies that could do it but all said "absolutely not" if it's part of an aircraft.

When talking to non aviation service providers, I never volunteer the purpose of my enquiry - if asked outright (as happened) I give a truthful answer.
Skippydiesel

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:59 pm

"Off road vehicle" is a truthful answer :-)
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

PreviousNext

Return to Rotax