UL Power 350 in a Sonex, at last!

Discussions for ULPower engines.

UL Power 350 in a Sonex, at last!

Postby runbjo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Greetings everyone, and ref my previous posts on the subject almost a year ago.
I am happy to inform you that we have recently taken delivery of a UL Power 350is for our std gear, legacy Sonex.

The time since my last post considered, it has not been a straight forward task. Most of the difficulties has been related to actually getting an engine mount fabricated. As many of you know by now, US based Kaolin Aviation are producing engine mounts for this combination, and we have gotten one of those for our project. We have already hung the engine to verify the fit to the engine mount, and we are quite happy so far.

There is currently at least one other legacy Sonex on the US side of the pond, nearing first flight with the same type engine. It will be interesting to see the performance numbers.

Please check out the build section of our web site for updates.

Kind regards Rune
www.flyfabrikken.com
runbjo

Re: UL Power 350 in a Sonex, at last!

Postby runbjo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:55 am

Greetings everyone, and thanks for the interest in our project. We've seen a strong increase in hits on our web site since my last post.
Not much has been done on the engine installation since end of last year. We got the engine mid december and hung it on the firewall to check the fit. After that, we've completed a few other items, such as the dreaded canopy.
We did notice after we hung the engine, that there will be quite a bit of fiberglass work in our near future. We bought the horisontal split std cowling a while back, and it does not fit very well around the front of the engine, so we have decided to start making the cowling from scratch. We may be able to use parts of the original cowling, but time will show. We will post updates on our website on the progress.

The fuel return line mentioned in one reply to my post, will go back to the R/H side of the filler neck. The return line on the UL Power engine comes back from the regulator located on the right side of the inlet manifold. The fuel tank has quite a flat surface on the side of the fillerneck, this makes it easy to install a oups fitting or a bulkhead fitting. The size must be at least AN6 in order to not restrict the return flow.

In just a few weeks, the project will travel to Belgium to visit the UL Power head quarter and attend an installation and maintenance course on the engine. This is something we really look forward to.

Keep checking for updates to our website at www.flyfabrikken.com

Blue Skies
Rune Bjørkelid
runbjo

Return to ULPower