SonexFlight Episode 34 - Creating a Dimple-free Turtledeck

Discussion area for the Sonex Flight Podcast. Show announcements and post-show discussions.

SonexFlight Episode 34 - Creating a Dimple-free Turtledeck

Postby sonex1374 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:05 am

SonexFlight Episode 34 - “Creating a Dimple-free Turtledeck" is available for download!

One area that requires a bit of builder finesse is fitting the turtle deck skin to the fuselage bulkheads. There are some simple techniques that will allow that skin to lay perfectly flat on the bulkhead flanges, and produce a smooth, dimple-free surface. We’ll describe how to make your turtledeck look like it was built by a pro.

http://sonexflight.com/34

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: SonexFlight Episode 34 “Creating a Dimple-free Turtledec

Postby x3 skier » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Would have been nice if you have started with the turtle deck discussion instead of all the other things I had no real interest in at this time.

Thanks
Onex 202, Finishing Fuselage Kit, Controls/Gear/Engine Config kit delivered.
x3 skier

Postby grevaly » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:59 pm

WHAT?
Mark Conner
Sonex Std Gear Aerovee #1242
Mostly Plans Built
grevaly

Postby Archer123 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:41 pm

x3 skier wrote:Would have been nice if you have started with the turtle deck discussion instead of all the other things I had no real interest in at this time.

Thanks

You gotta be kidding....

These guys do a wonderful job and provide a lot of useful information. Skip ahead if you don't like the part you are listening to ! I have paid for Pod Casts with far less value... and then there are the "Patron" Podcasts that don't give you the whole story.. unless you "pay up"... These guys don't ask for a cent... nothing ! To the contrary, these guys have never mentioned any kind of donation. Frankly I would have no problem donating to the Sonex Podcast.

For the record. I don't own a Sonex or even personally know any of the Sonex Pod Cast guys... but I do love their dedication and unselfish sharing of information.
Archer123

Postby dtwolcott » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Great job on the pod casts. I only wish I had these ideas available when I assembled my turtle deck. But I have decided that since golf balls have dimples on them to make them fly farther I just tell people that is why my plane has them.
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Postby Brett » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:19 pm

Really appreciate all the work you guys do in making and providing the podcasts for us. I am always hanging out for the next one to be released....

Thanks guys:)

-Brett
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby jowens » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:33 am

Agree, great work on the podcasts, guys!! The show formal is excellent with host activities, current events/forum discussion, and then main topic.
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
660 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi all,
Thanks again Jeff, Gary, John,
Good job as always on the podcasts. A little banter and humor is fine, like sitting around the campsite at Oshkosh.

For all that enjoy the podcasts, so that we can continue to enjoy these. :
1) go to the right column and click on sbpf, then become a member. (Even if you are already a member)Then the button to donate.

2) go to the right column, see box with red arrows , click, look for link to donate to Chris to keep this website going.

Thanks Chris!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby GWMotley » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I enjoy doing these for all the really inventive people you can come across. Nothing like a collective at times to solve problems or at least come up with a “better mouse trap”. Though, it is hard to improve on the Monnett principle of simple and very strong construction.
I have to confess however that a lot of my enjoyment comes from busting Jeff and John’s chops! :)
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

SonexFlight Episode 34 “Creating a Dimple-free Turtledeck"

Postby n307tw » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Once again another great podcast guys. My only beef is that I wish you did this before I did my turtledeck. I also like the golf ball mentality, mine will certainly go faster even without John’s speedcowl.

Gary keep busting their chops, someone has to keep those boys in line.

-Tim
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Return to SonexFlight Podcast