SonexFlight Episode 58 - SDS EFI for your AeroVee

Discussion area for the Sonex Flight Podcast. Show announcements and post-show discussions.

SonexFlight Episode 58 - SDS EFI for your AeroVee

Postby sonex1374 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:29 pm

SonexFlight Episode 58 "SDS EFI for your AeroVee" is available for download!

Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) is a popular addition to experimental aircraft engines, and offers several attractive benefits including balanced mixture distribution, lower fuel burn, increased power and general smoothness of operation. We discuss the SDS EFI system with a successful Sonex builder and the company founder, and lay out what you'll need to add EFI to your AeroVee.

http://sonexflight.com/58

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: SonexFlight Episode 58 - SDS EFI for your AeroVee

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:33 pm

Great podcast Jeff! Another excellent presentation on a very interesting product. I didn’t hear if this was discussed but did Peter mention if he has the stock charging system on his AeroVee? I know he said he has the factory recommended Odyssey battery, but I did hear that a good charging system is essential so I was curious if the 20 amp AeroVee alternator was sufficient.

Thanks for another excellent podcast!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Outlaw6 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:58 pm

Awesome episode Jeff!

I'm confused on the back up ability of the Aeroinjector (or any carb) when the battery dies. Peter at one point says that when the Aerovee quits it stops quickly and the prop doesn't windmill. Then later in the episode you talked about having a carb as a back up. Not sure of the failure modes but if the battery dies would you have time to go full rich on the carb before the engine stops?
Waiex N176WS (Tri-Gear Aerovee Turbo)
Outlaw6

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:07 am

If the battery dies and you have no electrical power, you might yet be able to restart the engine by diving to build enough airspeed to get the prop windmilling. This can (and has) been done, but it's certainly not normal. However, the real benefit is during the other scenarios where the fuel injection has failed but you still have battery power available (e.g. caused by a EFI component or sensor failure), and in those cases you have the AeroCarb all ready to go for manual operation. This won't cover all situations, but it's a nice compliment to a high-tech enhancement that fuel injection provides.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Kansas City, MO
sonex1374

Postby racaldwell » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:45 am

If you ever think you may need to air start your engine, I highly recommend to try it out first at very high altitude and see what it takes.

I was in for a big surprise when I did it. It took way more speed on the down line with the loss of altitude before the prop moved. I know my situation was different because I had an angle valve IO-360 in my One Design and a three blade Performance prop. The prop finally moved as I passed 200 mph. My point is, this is not something to try for the first time when the engine quits at 2500 ft altitude.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Rick,

Great point. I've heard that the Jabiru 3300 takes about 160 mph to air-start. Definately something to try out at altitude.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Kansas City, MO
sonex1374

Postby Outlaw6 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:28 pm

Thanks for the clarification Jeff.
Gonna see if the turbo cooling solves the turbo issues to see if I can stay with the Aerovee, then hopefully an SDS EFI.

P.S. You think we'll see a bloopers episode in the next year or so? :)
Waiex N176WS (Tri-Gear Aerovee Turbo)
Outlaw6

Return to SonexFlight Podcast