Leaking push rod tube

Discuss fuel injection systems, installation and troubleshooting here.

Leaking push rod tube

Postby bipbuilder » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:05 am

Recently bought replacement push rod tubes. Trying to not remove heads. Bought the ones that are spring loaded. Turns out they are made of nylon and have no o ring were the 2 halves overlap. Was wondering if anyone else has used them. Forgot to mention its an aerovee n.a.
Thanks
bipbuilder

Re: Leaking push rod tube

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:26 am

Spend a little more money on the metal ones:

https://www.jbugs.com/product/9096.html

THAT SAID - I've read more than a few recommendations you do NOT use sprung types and use solid in an aviation application. And I've read some people use them.

There are kits to put in sprung push rod tubes on Continental certificated engines - so I'm thinking the jury is somewhere in the middle.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Area 51% » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:31 am

I had an interference issue with the aluminum spring loaded tubes. They came in contact with the Super Tin which required some quality time with the Dremel to avoid contact.
Other than that, they were leak free, hard to install, and really pretty.
Area 51%

Postby Onex107 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:26 am

I replaced the original leaking solid tubes with a two piece aluminum that has one piece threaded with an o-ring and nut so they can be expanded till the leak stops. I had to use thread sealer on the threads but they are completely dry.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby mike.smith » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:20 pm

I've tried the spring loaded ones and took them off pretty quickly. Very difficult to install, and they leaked right away. To replace the typical bellows type you only need to loosen the heads, not remove them. Yes, you will have to retorque, and check again at 25 and 50 hours, but it's not a big deal for a VW.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to Fuel Injection