Trailering a OneX

An area for non-builder owners to discuss issues that they may not be familiar with to increase safety in the second hand Sonex line market. Post things to watch out for and anything safety related for secondary owners here.

Trailering a OneX

Postby Art Tiller » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:28 pm

What if.....
I want to do a condition inspection at home in the winter on a OneX that I have yet to purchase. What tips do you have for trailering a OneX. Or for that matter any other Sonex.
Art Tiller
Sonex N568SX
Second Owner
Sonex 0568 Taildragger, AeroVee,
Kansas City, MO
https://youtube.com/c/ArtTiller
Art Tiller

Re: Trailering a OneX

Postby pilotyoung » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:58 pm

I have never trailered one but I would take the wings off and then be sure the aircraft and wings are both secured and padded well.
pilotyoung

Postby thomasjones42 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:31 am

I've moved my Onex twice a distance of about 4 miles each time with wings folded and wing braces in place. Used a small open trailer with winch and tilting bed. Pulled plane on with a strap thru the engine mount, chocked the wheels, set the parking brake and secured the landing gear with straps down near the wheels fastened to the rear of the trailer. Pretty easy process. Probably didn't exceed 25-30 mph on either trip. If I were going a long distance I would remove the outer wing panels (one 5/16 bolt) and lay them in pickup bed. Mine are 70 inches long. I have a video of the loading if you're interested.
thomasjones42

Postby Art Tiller » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:02 pm

thomasjones42 wrote:I've moved my Onex twice a distance of about 4 miles each time with wings folded and wing braces in place. Used a small open trailer with winch and tilting bed. Pulled plane on with a strap thru the engine mount, chocked the wheels, set the parking brake and secured the landing gear with straps down near the wheels fastened to the rear of the trailer. Pretty easy process. Probably didn't exceed 25-30 mph on either trip. If I were going a long distance I would remove the outer wing panels (one 5/16 bolt) and lay them in pickup bed. Mine are 70 inches long. I have a video of the loading if you're interested.

I would really appreciate seeing your video. Can you send me a link here or at my email address. art.tiller@comcast.net. I am moving to Kansas City next spring and thinking of buying a OneX or a Sonex. (Selling my 1/3 share of an RV-12) I am thinking that I will base it at Roosterville airport (0N0). My only option may be an open hanger. There for the need to get the aircraft in my garage would be the just the thing for the condition inspection. Thanks
Art Tiller
Sonex N568SX
Second Owner
Kansas City, MO
Art Tiller

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:12 pm

I modified a 9m, 1975 caravan (travel trailer) to make the 20 hr round trip to pick up my new Sonex.

Van Modifications:
Gutted the interior including floor
Removed back of van body, at end of chassis.
Caravans depend to some degree on internal fit out for body "stiffening"/rigidity. To maintain integrity made/installed three "ribs" out of square tube attached to chassis. I also built a rear door frame. I used steel but on reflection might have been better with aluminium.
Replaced floor with 10mm marine ply. Had to fabricate two wheel arches out of angle iron.
Purchased 8mm 18 threaded eye bolts and installed (through side chassis members) as tie down anchors.
Tail gate /ramp turned out to be a failure, upset van C of G
Made a swing door out of aluminium
Purchased 3 aluminium folding motorcycle ramps - worked very well.

I also removed all non functioning windows/vents and other external components. Patched/covered with aluminum sheeting (some from back of van). No leaks.

I am still using the van as a worship (wings etc relocated) for the finishing touches to the aircraft and "down the track" may use it as the paint booth.

Good investment, so far.
Skippydiesel

Postby lgsievila » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:42 am

Art,
I sent you a PM
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby Art Tiller » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:51 pm

With the wings folded, will a Onex fit into a 7ft by 16 foot enclosed trailer>
Art Tiller
Sonex N568SX
Second Owner
Kansas City, MO
Art Tiller

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:31 am

Art Tiller wrote:With the wings folded, will a Onex fit into a 7ft by 16 foot enclosed trailer>

Nope, won't fit. Folded the width is around 92". Removing the wings would get you to about 86". I don't think it would fit in length either. Mine is 202" long sitting on the tailwheel, but it's also about 6" longer than normal since I have a 912 engine.

You didn't mention height, which is likely another problem. They spec 7ft tall with the short wingtips, and 8ft with the long ones. I suspect most are actually a bit taller than what they claim. I haven't filed my wing fold stops for min height yet, but I'll be well over 7ft with the short tips, and taller tires.

The width is an area of the design that I always thought Sonex missed the boat on. They should have tried to make it narrow enough to fit in a legal width enclosed trailer.

Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Mike53 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:29 pm

Mine is a tri-gear and measures 16' 3" long plus or minus 1"
Height 7' 10 3/4 " wing tips cut down to 12" as measured on the top side
width 7' 11"
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Art Tiller » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:31 am

So it looks like I need to find a box that is 10 ft x 10 f . 20ft. or its is back to looking for a hangar or towing it to my house. Hmmm. I ponder.
Art Tiller
Sonex N568SX
Second Owner
Kansas City, MO
Art Tiller

Next

Return to Second Owner Issues