Second builder privalages/benefits

An area for non-builder owners to discuss issues that they may not be familiar with to increase safety in the second hand Sonex line market. Post things to watch out for and anything safety related for secondary owners here.

Re: Second builder privalages/benefits

Postby 9GT » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:58 am

Skippydiesel wrote:Its now confirmed - the offer of a $0 swap single rail for double rail, is only for the original plans/kit purchaser, definitely not available to subsequent builders.
Its not the money, its the principal, why am I and all other subsequent purchasers, excluded? from the full privileges of being part of the Sonex family.

Your question was answered by the first response to your post. I am third owner/builder of my RV-9A kit and have NO expectations that Van's aircraft would handle it any differently than Sonex Aircraft.
David Clifford
Howell & Gladwin, MI
RV-9A: Under Construction (I'm a repeat offender!)
RV-10: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2013 N959RV
Cozy MKIV: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2007 N656TE
9GT

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:57 pm

9GT wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:Its now confirmed - the offer of a $0 swap single rail for double rail, is only for the original plans/kit purchaser, definitely not available to subsequent builders.
Its not the money, its the principal, why am I and all other subsequent purchasers, excluded? from the full privileges of being part of the Sonex family.

Your question was answered by the first response to your post. I am third owner/builder of my RV-9A kit and have NO expectations that Van's aircraft would handle it any differently than Sonex Aircraft.

Why not?

Are you somehow a lesser builder/person?

I liken this to purchasing a car - subsequent owner(s) will still benefit from any new car warranty/recalls still running. They coverage doesn't suddenly stop because the vehicle changed hands.
Skippydiesel

Postby 9GT » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:23 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:
9GT wrote:

Why not?

Are you somehow a lesser builder/person?

I liken this to purchasing a car - subsequent owner(s) will still benefit from any new car warranty/recalls still running. They coverage doesn't suddenly stop because the vehicle changed hands.

These are not cars. They are experimental aircraft parts assembled by hobbyists for educational purposes, and the manufacturer sets the corporate policies. Don't like it,,find another hobby or manufacturer.
David Clifford
Howell & Gladwin, MI
RV-9A: Under Construction (I'm a repeat offender!)
RV-10: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2013 N959RV
Cozy MKIV: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2007 N656TE
9GT

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:48 pm

Thank you for stating the obvious. You clearly have little understanding of an analogy. I have no idea how Vans treats its kit builders (subsequent builders). If its any different to the initial purchaser, I would ask why.

The supplier of the kit/plans is providing a good (the kit) & an implied obligation for on going service of that investment (that's why they took money).
That the investment (kit/plans) changes hands, should have no bearing on the service provided.
Clearly the responsibility to provide the service, will at some stage, diminish & eventually cease. I would suggest there be a clearly stated (plain English) time limit, combined with kit completion (finished aircraft), legal liability for product quality (safety)
In the case of Sonex & the offer of a free exchange of first generation Sonex to Rotax engine mounts, for the second generation (much better) mounts. I would suggest qualifying criteria should be:
Owner of Sonex kit/plans.
Purchase of Sonex/Rotax first generation engine mounts.
Recognition by Sonex that these mounts are not serving the intended purpose well.
Design & availability (fairly short time interval, few first generation mounts have been purchased) of much improved mounts.
The decision by Sonex making a offer of free exchange of first (essentially defective) mounts for new & improved design was not a legal requirement but once made, should apply to all purchasers equally.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:53 am

Wanting to my new Sonex to meet the highest standard of construction, I elected to replace the Mark 1 Sonex/Rotax single rail engine mounts with the much better (to my eye) Mark 2 mounts.

I did this at my cost , as Sonex will not be moved on their extraordinary free exchange to first builders only policy.

On receiving the package;

The first disappointment appeared (or not) at the opening of the package - no instructions. Who sends out installation kits without any instructions?
Second - the mounts are not configured for a Sonex (A) Legacy having AN5 bolts & holes instead of AN4. This is despite asking what aircraft the "kit" was to be installed in.

Sonex did respond to my enquiry regarding the above with commendable speed, even to the point of sending a diagram & photos of what the completed installation should look like - my thanks Kerry.
They also made a pretty weak excuse about not providing a kit specifically for Legacy aircraft (small numbers etc no effort to supply bushings or even undrilled lower bracket).
No apology for not mentioning this in their parts section or at any other time.

The Sonex after the fact/delivery solution to the AN5-AN4 appears to be builder fabricated bushing - hardly a professional response.

Next problem - lower rail holes do not line up with the factory suppled Sonex engine frame.

Sonex response - Cant expect a welded component to line up with a machined component (what???), just give the Sonex frame holes a bit of a ream out (what???). Are these guys engineers or model aeroplane builders?

I purchased my Sonex in large part because of its enviable reputation as an excellent flying machine. This I will judge for myself in a few short months. As for Sonex factory support - so fare they have not impressed.
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Second Owner Issues