Second builder privalages/benefits

An area for non-builder owners to discuss issues that they may not be familiar with to increase safety in the second hand Sonex line market. Post things to watch out for and anything safety related for secondary owners here.

Second builder privalages/benefits

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:57 pm

I have recently purchased an unfinished plans built Sonex Legacy.

Wanting to join the Sonex community and take advantage of any support/communication chain available, I read the Sonex "Plans/Kit/Flying Aircraft Ownership Transfers" document.

It would appear that, as the second builder, located in Australia, after paying approximately $150 AU to have my ownership recognised by Sonex, I will be excluded from the only meaningful benefit enjoyed by the first builder ; that is "No parts exchanges are accepted from second-hand kit/parts owners, and part warranties are not transferrable to new owners."

This is a quite extraordinarily exclusion, contrary to Australian consumer rights & cultural expectations - All warranties, safety recalls are transferred with the item purchased.

Perhaps an experienced Sonex owner might explain;

The subsequent owner exclusion rules
    What would be the benefit in a Sonex owner, not resident in the USA, formally joining the Sonex family as a second class owner.
    [/list]
    Skippydiesel

Re: Second builder privalages/benefits

Postby Scott Todd » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:18 am

The transfer agreement allows you to purchase parts and use their technical support. You will also be included in the emails about drawing revisions and service notices. Most likely everything is already out of warranty as it is. The 'no exchange' simply means if along the way you find you have two left hand parts instead of a left and right, they will not exchange them as the original purchaser should have done a proper inventory. You simply need to buy a new part, which they will gladly sell you after executing the transfer agreement.

You are not really 'missing out' on a meaningful benefit. They provide a valuable service and the $150 is well worth it.
    Scott Todd

Postby karmarepair » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:54 pm

They absolutely will not sell you parts without a signed agreement. As a third owner of a yet-to-fly project, this I know for a fact.
    karmarepair

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:54 pm

karmarepair wrote:They absolutely will not sell you parts without a signed agreement. As a third owner of a yet-to-fly project, this I know for a fact.

Sure - they want you to sign the liability waiver that goes with the transfer. And I don't blame them.
    Graeme JW Smith
    GraemeSmith

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:15 pm

I guess I am in fortunate position with my new Sonex - it is about 99.9% complete, needing only wiring, painting, the rear belly pan installed and the whole kit & caboodle assembled for weighing & test flying.

The only part that I know that I need, is the most recent Rotax/Sonex engine mount. This is an exchange, for old design, item with the FIRST BUILDER ONLY - can anyone explain this particular ruling?????
    Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:22 pm

What - no response/answers!!??
    Skippydiesel

Postby karmarepair » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:I guess I am in fortunate position with my new Sonex - it is about 99.9% complete, needing only wiring, painting, the rear belly pan installed and the whole kit & caboodle assembled for weighing & test flying.

The only part that I know that I need, is the most recent Rotax/Sonex engine mount. This is an exchange, for old design, item with the FIRST BUILDER ONLY - can anyone explain this particular ruling?????

I'm not getting your point. Exchanges for the first buyer was about mistakes in ordering or shipping.

IF you're talking about exchanging the Rotax Mounting Bars of 2017 for the bars of 2021, I'm not seeing where you can't, IF you sign their agreement, and pay the transfer fee. THAT was a Special Deal. http://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/cart ... t_id=18053

To go any further would be speculation on my part. Call them, or E-mail them, and work it out.

I paid my $100 US last week, and they processed my ownership transfer today.
    karmarepair

Postby sonex892. » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:47 am

karmarepair wrote:IF you're talking about exchanging the Rotax Mounting Bars of 2017 for the bars of 2021, I'm not seeing where you can't, IF you sign their agreement, and pay the transfer fee. THAT was a Special Deal. http://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/cart ... t_id=18053

The link for the upgrade to new mounts says $0. For original purchasers only!

Skippydiesel wrote:The only part that I know that I need, is the most recent Rotax/Sonex engine mount. This is an exchange, for old design, item with the FIRST BUILDER ONLY - can anyone explain this particular ruling?????

Probably best to ask sonex directly. They would also be the best ones to explain their unusual business model rules.
    Steve
    Lazair kit 1981 sold
    Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
    Sonex kit 2010
    Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
    sonex892.

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:38 am

It was Sonex who informed me that the Rotax engine bed "swap" for the latest design, was only for first builders (My aircraft is not finished, so I am registering as owner builder)
    Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:01 am

Its now confirmed - the offer of a $0 swap single rail for double rail, is only for the original plans/kit purchaser, definitely not available to subsequent builders.
    Its not the money, its the principal, why am I and all other subsequent purchasers, excluded? from the full privileges of being part of the Sonex family.
    Skippydiesel

Next

Return to Second Owner Issues