What is your XENOS registered as?

An area for non-builder owners to discuss issues that they may not be familiar with to increase safety in the second hand Sonex line market. Post things to watch out for and anything safety related for secondary owners here.

What is your XENOS registered as?

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:21 am

This arose during a discussion with a USA FAA Safety Inspector who is also a keen glider pilot. The issue potentially could catch out SECOND owners of XENOS who miss the distinction during purchase.

If the Xenos is registered as a “Fixed Wing Single Engine” you cannot fly it on a Private Pilot GLIDER certificate. The aircraft has been registered as a Single Engine plane requiring a PPL or Sport Pilot (if the plane qualifies for LSA) rating.

If registered as a GLIDER – you cannot fly it on a PPL or Sport Pilot rating – you need a Glider rating.

To qualify to self-launch a Xenos registered as a GLIDER you have to have a Private Pilot Glider WITH a “Self Launch” endorsement – which requires training and then an endorsement for the type of self launch you are using.

--

It was also pointed out that the current - AC 61-94 - Pilot Transition Course for Self Launching or Powered Sailplanes (Motorgliders) - is significantly out of date and does not meet the way training or endorsements are currently issued!
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: What is your XENOS registered as?

Postby racaldwell » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:31 am

Mine is registered as SEL aircraft because I wanted to get the paperwork completed in a timely manner. It would be a struggle to get the Orlando FSDO to make it a glider; at least that is my impression. With Basicmed, it is a mute point for me now. I can fly with Basicmed and do not ever see the need to drop med. certificate & fly with a drivers license. Yes, I have a glider rating but not self launch endorsement, nor do I need one.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057 68 hr (engine,) about 8 hrs solar power only
CAMit 3300 (yes, it doesn't use much runway and climbs 1600 fpm)
racaldwell

Postby bvolcko38 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:04 am

Graeme,
" which requires training and then an endorsement for the type of self launch you are using."

What types of self launch are they referring to? Are they making new distinctions as far as where the engine is mounted?
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:55 pm

bvolcko38 wrote:Graeme,
" which requires training and then an endorsement for the type of self launch you are using."

What types of self launch are they referring to? Are they making new distinctions as far as where the engine is mounted?

As I THINK I understood it (and I am not a Glider guy) - There are three types of launch endorsements. Airtow, Ground (winch), Motorglider.

I am NOT qualified to comment on this properly. But as I think it was explained to me - A Self Launch can include a winch (if the pilot operates it) or your own engine (motorglider). And I was told there was a distinction in the training and endorsement.

--

The bigger issue is PPL's flying Gliders and PPG's flying SEL's. It was explained to me that this is not just a paper distinction. The thought being that a XENOS with a bigger engine registered as an SEL being flown by a PPG - the PPG might not have all experience/training required.

--

If in doubt talk to the FSDO. You will get chapter and verse there. (well usually!).
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:11 pm

I've never heard of a self-launch winch. I've also never launched from a winch and only have an aerotow endorsement. I think the motor glider self-launch endorsement is the one you need.

Besides launching, training covers failed restarts. Depending on the motorglider that can be a high drag configuration as compared to soaring mode.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Second Owner Issues