Instrument Panel Question - Relocating my radio

An area for non-builder owners to discuss issues that they may not be familiar with to increase safety in the second hand Sonex line market. Post things to watch out for and anything safety related for secondary owners here.

Instrument Panel Question - Relocating my radio

Postby Weatherpilot » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:51 pm

Got a question. I'm installing an AV Map Ultra EFIS. To do that I need to move my MGL radio. Was going to just put the radio on the other side of the panel. Plenty of room there. However, the wiring harness won't reach. So I have a hole where the inclinometer was (don't need it anymore since the Ultra has one) but there is an issue with the bottom of the panel. Can I trim this piece that's in the way to make the MGL radio fit or will it violate the integrity of the instrument panel structure? Second picture is the hole. (BTW - some sloppy cutting there by someone else - Not my work) First is the installed EFIS and you can see the inclinometer I am removing.

EFISInstalled.jpg
The EFIS Installed

thehole.jpg
This is the hole. Want to cut out that lower piece.
thehole.jpg (114.86 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Greg Hubert
Sonex A #972 TD
Aerovee Prince P-Tip / Dual stick
Third Owner
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
Weatherpilot

Re: Instrument Panel Question - Relocating my radio

Postby Friesen5 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:31 pm

I built my Sonex in the early 2000s. Jeremy Monnett was the tech advisor then. I mounted my EIS lower in the panel which compromised the cross tie in that location. Hie advice was to put in another angle to replace the strength. I would follow his advice and not compromise the strength of the cross tie.

Mervin Friesen
Sonex 122
Friesen5

Re: Instrument Panel Question - Relocating my radio

Postby sonex892. » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:11 pm

I had the same problem when I originally built my plane. I bridged the cut out section with a section of trimmed 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle. The trimmed out section was shaped like a half moon.
You might be able to just make it out on the first photo in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5081
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Return to Second Owner Issues