Wing install trouble

An area for non-builder owners to discuss issues that they may not be familiar with to increase safety in the second hand Sonex line market. Post things to watch out for and anything safety related for secondary owners here.

Wing install trouble

Postby Bluth125 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:03 pm

I recently bought a Sonex that is airworthy and took the wings off to trailer it back home, and now no matter how much I try, I can’t get the wings back in place. They stop sliding together about an inch and a half too soon. Any suggestions or advice on what I should do?
N629HD
Bluth125

Re: Wing install trouble

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:25 pm

Do you have the wing installation instruction sheet? It can be downloaded from here.
https://www.sonexaircraft.com/instruction-sheets/

Direct link to the PDF:
https://www.sonexaircraft.com/documents ... nstall.pdf
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:56 pm

Actually the wings should fit snugly together so that is a good sign. The fact that they were in there before proves that they will go.

Are you trying to do this by yourself? I tried that but found that to be an exercise in futility. It's at least a two man task and three will make it work easier. Depending on how tight the wing bolts were drilled, aligning the bolt holes and getting the wing bolts in can also be quite a challenge.

Patience is indeed your friend ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby Bluth125 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:05 pm

Yes, I have read the sheet and did the install exactly as outlined and I still can’t get it all the way in
N629HD
Bluth125

Postby Bluth125 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:06 pm

I have tried on a few occasions with multiple people including an a&p and we couldn’t get the wings all the way on
N629HD
Bluth125

Postby Area 51% » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

Look very closely at the ends of the spars for any witness marks that might indicate contact with the other spar.
Or, there may be a proud rivet hiding in the spar tunnel.
Area 51%

Postby karmarepair » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 am

RIffing on what the previous posters have said, cover BOTH spar ends with your favorite layout fluid, and try it again, if it doesn't go, pull it apart to see where it's binding. File, deburr, repeat.

I also found on my wings that gently ROTATING the wings relatively to the fuselage was key. Rotate, shake, push. When you get it, the relief is palpable, like popping a zit. My wife and I had to jack the trailing edge of the Starboard wing to get the main spar snug against the front of the forward spar box before the Port wing could clunk in.

I also used PINS vice bolt for the shear connections. I made my own from clevis pins from the Aviation department of McMaster Carr, put a LONG taper on the excess length, and drilled the shanks to achieve a close fit of a removable, reusable retaining pin snug up against the spar boxes. The factory demonstrators use pins vice bolts. The thread of the bolts can "broach" a tight, slightly mis-aligned hole till it's no longer tight. Said tapered pins were liberally lubed with engine assembly lube, and gently driven in.

I hope to never have to take my wings off again.
Last edited by karmarepair on Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karmarepair

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 pm

A glider pilot, if you can find one, is probably more help than an A&P.

The right wing should be all the way in so you can pin it to the fuselage, as indicated in step 5 of the instructions. So then it should just be a matter of getting the left wing all the way in. One of the tricks is that the right wing may not be jammed all the way against the aft side of the spar tunnel. This will cause it to bind, as there is little to no clearance for a tight wing installation. So how do you deal with this? Like any glider pilot would tell you, wiggle the left wing up & down, fore and aft as you try and push it in. If it is being difficult you can do the same thing on the right wing at the same time. Push and wiggle. That is the magic.

Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bluth125 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:33 pm

Thank you all! I was able to get it installed with a little bit of deburring and a few more people
N629HD
Bluth125

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 pm

Bluth125 wrote:Thank you all! I was able to get it installed with a little bit of deburring and a few more people

Awesome! Looking forward to the flight reports.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Return to Second Owner Issues