Aerovee #0361

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Aerovee #0361

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Hello All,

I'm currently finishing the build of Aerovee 2.1 kit #0361 which will be installed on my Waiex hopefully here in the next few days or weeks. I plan on writing a more detailed entry on the build process here soon, but in the meantime I wanted to attach a few pictures of the build process. Overall the build wasn't too bad, but to be honest it wasn't quite as easy as I was expecting. Hopefully all is well though and if all goes according to plan, this engine should be making a lot of noise here in the next few months!

Fitting the cylinders:

Attaching the heads:

Completed until it's installed on the plane:

Rear view of engine:

Have a great eay everyone! Hopefully pictures of the engine mounted on the fuselage will follow soon...
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Re: Aerovee #0361

Postby chris » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Hey Mike.. The engine looks good! Could you elaborate on what you mean by:

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Overall the build wasn't too bad, but to be honest it wasn't quite as easy as I was expecting.

I'm curious about which parts of the engine build were most challenging?
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi Chris,

I'll try to give a quick summary of the issues I ran into. First, just as an FYI, I got the pre-assembled crankshaft, Nikasyl cylinders, and baffle kit (not yet started).

First, the "issues" I ran into:

- After kit delivery and inventory, one set of special screws were missing and several other items were backordered (since then I have received everything).
- Cylinder head stud threaded inserts in cyldiner case needed cleaned so studs could be screwed in completly.
- After initial assembly of case halves, I had to split the case due to the rear main bearing wasn't seated properly leading to crank lock. Second attempt was more successful.
- Crank case bearing dowel pin insert holes needed cleaned out before pins would fit.
- (biggest issue) After pistons and cylinders were installed, I rotated the crankshaft only to find specific locations where there was crank lock. This required me to completly disassemble the pistons, cylinders, and case halves. I had to then file down some flat spots on the camshaft as well as file down material on all connecting rods to provide a gap between cam and connecting rods. I filed all rods down around the same amount so I'm hoping I didn't throw off any balances.
- The camshaft plug needed filed down to prevent any interference with the camshaft.
- The video calls for the kit to include a ring compressor. It's not there. (Get a good one...you'll be thankful)
- Each pushrod needs sized by itself. I tried to follow directions and measure one per side and now have to remake three of them.
- Valve cover bolts were not long enough, so I had to get bolts around 1/2" longer.
- I had to order more ACV-Z01-23 locking nuts from Sonex ( I needed 3 or 4 more than what was supplied)

I hope this all doesn't sound too bad as I'm still hopeful that the Aerovee will be a great little engine. Overall things haven't been bad. I highly recommend you proceed slowly through the build and check everything carefully. All of the parts from Sonex are first class quality and I'm very excited to get the engine on my plane and hopefully running soon. I also recommend the pre-assembled crankshaft and the Nikasyl cylinders...very high quality!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:24 pm

Greetings Everyone,

I recently mounted the Aerovee on the fuselage and wanted to make sure my engine mounts look like they're installed properly. I took the 16 washers provided in the kit and put a total of four on each mount, two behind the rubber bushings and two in front of the bushings:

After tightening the nuts the rubber bushings are slightly compressed but not quite to the level I see most Lycoming mounts (i.e., slightly squished). Do these look okay to you guys or have others added additional washers to compress the bushings even more?

Thanks everyone!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Gibbsfamily1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:14 am

I compressed mine until I could see the bushings crown a little. That way I knew they were under tension. I passed 100 hours yesterday and they still look good.
Gibbsfamily1

Postby Mike53 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:16 pm

- (biggest issue) After pistons and cylinders were installed, I rotated the crankshaft only to find specific locations where there was crank lock. This required me to completly disassemble the pistons, cylinders, and case halves. I had to then file down some flat spots on the camshaft as well as file down material on all connecting rods to provide a gap between cam and connecting rods. I filed all rods down around the same amount so I'm hoping I didn't throw off any balances.
- The camshaft plug needed filed down to prevent any interference with the camshaft

Mike did you notify Sonex of this problem and were they forthcoming in resolving the problem and taking responsibility ? When you say your hoping you didn't throw off the balance ,who will take responsibility if you have further problems because of the improper fit to begin with? I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone ,i would just like hear if you are satisfied with everything and are not worried if you do have resultant problems.
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi Mike,

When I discovered the issue I sent an in depth email to the Sonex technical support email address, and here is the response I received:

Clearances in the case are very tight so you most likely have a contact somewhere other than the camshaft. Identify the location of the contact and then you can remove material from the case or connecting rods as needed.

Also, make sure you end play is close as having your end play way off can cause contact that may not exist with the end play set correctly.

I checked everything multiple times and came to the conclusion that the connecting rods were in fact hitting the camshaft, so I filed down the material as needed to prevent crank lock. Everything seems fine now, but if there does end up being something wrong I'm sure I'm on my own. I can't really comment on my satisfaction at this point since I have yet to start the engine, but I would like to think all will be fine. I hope so, at least...
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Mike53 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks Mike.
I plan to use the aerovee for my Onex and get a little nervous when I hear about a problems like yours.I am attending the workshop in October and I will be asking them about
liability issues for problems such as yours.It would be nice to buy the Jabiru 2200 but I can't justify the $14000 price tag :o
Let us know how your first start goes.Cheers.
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:05 pm

I sure will Mike.

I also want to add that, despite any comments that I've posted that could be taken as negative (which was not my intention), I still have nothing but respect for the Sonex company and can't wait to have my plane up and flying. That being said, I also want to be honest with all other builders and explain any issues I ran into when building my engine and kit. Like you, my first choice could have been a Jab 3300 but I simply couldn't swing the cost. Overall I do think the Aervoee is an easy kit to assemble and having built the mine I also think that rebuilding this one or building another will go even faster. Since this was my first attempt I was very slow and thorough.

Hopefully I'll have a first start report for you here in the near future!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm planning on using the Aerovee as well but have to admit I like what I have been reading about the technology in the Revmaster 2300. Like you Mike I will have lots of questions while at the school in Oct.
Dan

Next

Return to Aerovee