service bulitin

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: service bulitin

Postby jjbardell » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:01 am

I believe it is also a mini heat sink as it's has cooling fins and is made out of aluminum. That will further dissipate heat. I picked up min yesterday while I was at the factory.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby jond » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm

My first post here, so I'm hoping I'm in the right area. I have an early aerovee turbo upgrade, and replaced the turbo blanket with the stainless shroud as per the SB. Since the turbo was already in place, I had to remove the bolt that will hold the shield to the turbo. The bolt started to come out, but snapped about a third of the way out.

\* deleted expletives happened here \*

So I extended the short bracket that holds the shield to the turbo and clamped it under the band clamp that was holding the wrap for the exhaust tube. All looked good, except for the broken bolt. Since it is holding the exhaust tube flange to the turbo, and is one of five bolts, I am tempted to just leave as is, since I never have had luck with easy-out anyways. They snap just like the broken bolt did for me.
This was all stock sonex parts, and the bolt was 8-8 hardness.

When speaking with support, they recommend replacing the broken bolt, of course. Who knows how many other bolts are seized and snap. I can see me purchasing a turbo replacement to get this fixed properly....

My advise to those who who are about to replace blanket with shelf and bolts seem to be seized: install the support bracket under a band clamp on the exhaust tube and avoid the potential hassle!
jond

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi jond,
Sorry to hear youve made up new four letter words! Without a pic to see, but where did it break off flush? Any stud sticking up enough to thread? Yes hard to drill out , then maybe a metal coil insert. Good luck. A warning to others, mabe some repeated oil penetrant before trying to back out those bolts. Dont know if it would help. Such high temps of the turbo have locked up those bolts.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Bruce593SX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Haven't started mine yet, wonder, should I back them out and put never seize on them?
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby wlarson861 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:51 pm

I didn't have any problem taking the exhaust bolts out of the turbo when I removed it. I like some other turbo guys had the opposite problem, with the bolts backing out after the first few runs. After reading about it I checked and found the bolts had lost enough torque that the gasket had burned. New gasket has been better. With not having to remove the blanket, the bolts are much easier to check whenever the cowl is off. Before trying to remove the broken stud I would say a few applications of a good penetrating oil is a good idea.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby jond » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 am

Hi and thanks for the quick responses. This is obviously a very active and helpful community!
Here is a link to the broken bolt:
https ://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-gEGh-zQUKUTdxSGlMNmtHX0E/view?usp=drivesdk
To answer a few of the questions, the bolt broke flush to the turbo body, so there is no purchase for vice grips, etc. And the advice about using penetrant before removal is appreciated, since I will have to remove the other four bolts if I want to have a fighting chance of getting the broken one out. As far as the anti-seize goes, I'm not sure how well that would work at with such high temperatures, but it can't hurt, right? I will use it when and if I have to reinstall. Right now, I'm likely going to fly with one of five bolts broken. I don't see too much risk going that route, and it just happens to be easy.
jond

Previous

Return to Aerovee