On a quest for the elusive "Dry AeroVee"

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: On a quest for the elusive "Dry AeroVee"

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:25 pm

My Gene Berg cover gets here Monday. My non-turbo, top mounted oil cooler pump from Sonex arrived today. Until I get the motivation to drill and tap the case, I'm going to eliminate the filter, install the GB cover, and plug the cover output without plugging the oil pump normal output. This will give me the pressure relief but I'll lose the weight and liability of the external filter. I do want to bring it back but I'm planning a big XC in a couple of months and I want to simplify.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:30 pm

Oil pump and cover have been swapped. The Gene Berg cover is heavy cast iron. Remote oil filter and associated plumbing have been removed. Net weight savings is 2.5 lbs.
Gene Berg oil cover.jpg
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby bvolcko38 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:47 am

Why did you remove your oil filter?
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:03 pm

bvolcko38 wrote:Why did you remove your oil filter?

Bill,
I'm not ready to dive into drilling and tapping the case for full flow. I am planning a couple of XC trips in a couple of months where I won't have the luxury of preheat overnight. I don't want the potential liability a few hundred miles from home of the oil filter popping on startup. Per Sonex the filter is only required if you have the turbo. So I'm taking it off for now. I think we can add pressure relief to our original pump and cover, which is what I'd like to do. That's a project for another day.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby pfhoeycfi » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:45 am

My aerovee Turbo has been running good, making 40+ inches easily, has a tach time of about 10 hours. So far only minor oil leaks, however I pulled the intake elbows off to re torque the heads and found that the inner surfaces of both intake fittings are wet with oil. Has anyone else seen this? I'm going to perform a leak down test. Vw normal? Rings? Valve stems? Turbo? High oil pressure? Any thoughts on oil in the intake?
Peter
Last edited by pfhoeycfi on Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:40 am

Was looking at a Sonex for sale yesterday. Probably the DRIEST Aerovee I've ever seen. Reported as 360 hours. Just one drip of oil - on the bottom of the oil screen cover.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby pfhoeycfi » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:32 am

pfhoeycfi wrote:My aerovee Turbo has been running good, making 40+ inches easily, has a tach time of about 10 hours. So far only minor oil leaks, however I pulled the intake elbows off to re torque the heads and found that the inner surfaces of both intake fittings are wet with oil. Has anyone else seen this? I'm going to perform a leak down test. Vw normal? Rings? Valve stems? Turbo? High oil pressure? Any thoughts on oil in the intake?

Interestingly, I was just reading on the Garret site that the max oil pressure for the turbo bearing is 40 - 45 psi, and that damage may occur above that leading to leakage thru the bearing. 40-45 seems low for how these engines run.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:15 am

Some followup on my air-oil separator. I had been really happy with it, but lately had been getting more and more oil on the belly. After my big trip to Tennessee, it was a real mess and the oil consumption seemed higher than 16 oz/10 hours. I removed the separator and opened it up. It looked really good inside. When I went to blow through the 1/4" fuel line I use as a drain line, it was somewhat obstructed. I cleaned that out. From here on out I will clean the drain line at every oil change. It's really easy to do.

Bryan Cotton wrote:Got my rockers back on, valves adjusted, and here is my drain:
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby pappas » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:56 pm

On my Turbo Waiex B, I found a lot of black, sooty residue with a little oily dampness in the rubber intake elbows and intake manifolds. It was always there throughout the 150 hours I had the craft. I never found a good reason for it and couldn't figure out if it was a source of concern or not. It seems to me this area should be dry and clean all the time. Who else has seen this, any ideas?
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:50 pm

pappas wrote:On my Turbo Waiex B, I found a lot of black, sooty residue with a little oily dampness in the rubber intake elbows and intake manifolds. It was always there throughout the 150 hours I had the craft. I never found a good reason for it and couldn't figure out if it was a source of concern or not. It seems to me this area should be dry and clean all the time. Who else has seen this, any ideas?

I see it too.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee