Cabin heat exhaust shrouds for normally aspirated AeroVee

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Cabin heat exhaust shrouds for normally aspirated AeroVee

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:02 pm

For those who have installed cabin heat, I have a question. AirWard used to sell a cabin heat exhaust shroud that fit the normally aspirated AeroVee. They no longer sell them, and the manufacturer is out of business.

Has anyone made one from scratch? If there are plans or dimensions available I would like to see them.

Thanks
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Cabin heat exhaust shrouds for normally aspirated AeroVe

Postby Onex107 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Several of us have built our own. Just build a square box, closed with a hinge and pin, around the right hand exhaust pipe, including the "Y" joint. That's a hot spot. Make square ends that fit over the box end with screws. They have to be split to go around the pipe. Seal the whole thing up with red silicone. I didn't connect the fire wall valve to a cable. I lock the valve open in the winter and close it up in the spring. I can't post pictures here, but I'll email if you want. flyvfr@comcast.net
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks.

I realized after posting this that after I downloaded the Yahoo files from the old forum, I posted them here http://www.sonexfoundation.com/Yahoo_files.html

They include plans for an exhaust shroud that I am going to modify a bit.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby mike.smith » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:06 pm

Sonex1517 wrote:I realized after posting this that after I downloaded the Yahoo files from the old forum, I posted them here http://www.sonexfoundation.com/Yahoo_files.html
They include plans for an exhaust shroud that I am going to modify a bit.

I used that design as my basis. I've built 2 versions, and used stainless steel springs wrapped around the exhaust pipes to increase surface area.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 58&row=130
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 401&row=57

All attempts have been unsuccessful in producing heat in the cabin. So I wish you luck. Note that I only have one muff on one exhaust. If I had two it might help, but that's too much plumbing for my liking.

I fly with a battery-heated hoodie. Although with the Sonex canopy I hardly need it. It was 20 deg at altitude last week, and I was quite comfortable due to the solar gain. My feet get a bit chilly down at the fire wall, though.

The biggest draft comes from the wing roots (like, huge!). I have two small towels that I put between the seat cushions and the fuselage sides (next to my legs) to cut down on the draft. That helps.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Gordon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:46 am

Heat Muff Dilemma.............?

There is another option although a bit pricey. Aircraft Spruce sells the Turbo Heat Muff....p/n 05-15249 for $173.75. The smallest pipe size (exhaust pipe) is 1 1/2" so I then used a 2" long sleeve which is 1 3/8" I.D. and is 1 1/2" O.D., slid that over the pipe for each end of the heat muff.....fits real nice.

I am using this for carb heat as I have a Hummel engine with a Zenith carb so I need carb heat available.

I am not using cabin heat in my Onex.........I now (at my age) only fly when the outside temp is near my age.....72 years equals 72 F........say no more.

Gordon.........Onex.....Hummel 2400
Gordon

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Sorry to hear you haven’t had much luck with your cabin heat system.

Out of curiousity, are there any AeroVee owners who have been able to install a cabin heat system that actually puts out a decent amount of heat? Like Robbie, I’m planning on installing a simple system as well.

Thanks!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby cliffrunkle » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:03 am

No Joy for a hint of heat in NW Indiana, even though a good effort was spent. Good Luck and share if you can accomplish the impossible.
cliffrunkle

Return to Aerovee