EMPI Full-Flow High Volume Oil Pump and Filter unit

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: EMPI Full-Flow High Volume Oil Pump and Filter unit

Postby Area 51% » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:34 pm

Hap Hazard wrote:Interesting...do you know what form they took A51? Were they the more traditional remote filter plate or the EMPI-style combo unit I refer to in my thread?

Not sure who copied who......but the Mexican pump/filter assembly and the Empi would be hard to tell apart at 20ft.
Area 51%

Postby Area 51% » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:43 pm

This is how much cowl had to be removed to clear the filter assembly.
Attachments
DSCF1822.JPG
Area 51%

Postby Hap Hazard » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:12 pm

Hmmm...a lot needs cutting out then.... Great posts A51, you have been a brilliant help in giving me a better idea of what I am up against in terms of fit.

Much appreciated :)
Hap Hazard

Postby BRS » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:00 pm

I wonder if the RevMaster oil pump would work on that engine. Mine fits nicely under the cowl.

Google 'Revmaster R2300' and check out he images
or...
https://s28490.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploa ... ptimal.jpg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:43 pm

That Revmaster prop shaft looks a lot longer than the Aerovee.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BRS » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:28 pm

Yes, you are correct. But the cowl was not modified where the oil pump goes. You can see I lengthened the area around the crank up to the prop. The oil filter is that shiny bit in the right air cooling inlet.

The bump above the intake snout is for the corner of the oil cooler. BTW - I've not been able to use the intake snout external air with the RevFlow/AeroInjector TBI's but was recently told by Rotec that this would work fine with the MKII. Looking forward to trying that.
Attachments
CowlMods.jpg
CowlMods.jpg (73.97 KiB) Viewed 3184 times
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby BRS » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:24 pm

BTW - here is a pic of the Revmaster pump/filter setup.
Attachments
2023-12-04-12-13-15-040.jpg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Hap Hazard » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:47 pm

Thanks for the post BRS.
Personally I think the Rev Master is the better engineered and developed motor than the Aerovee. If I were building a Onex kit, I think I would definitely go for the Rev Master over the Aerovee (if I stayed with the VW route) due to it being more of a quality build, with lighter H-section rods, a decent oil filtration system, beefed up front bearing and no doubt a better balanced rotating mass down below (my pistons from Sonex are well out!). What’s hiding in that shiny “beehive” cover on your remote oil filter plate? It looks beefy, are you running a Canton type oil-filter inside that fancy thing? I bet the oil-ways in their remote filter casting are bigger too. Rev Master really did think of everything (and obviously valued the benefits of filtering the oil) and developed the VW to its zenith as an aeroplane engine.
I might get a a EMPI-style CB casting anyway as I am looking to do a few mods to my exhaust etc and may even make a custom engine cowling (which will allow me to work around the filter etc) as I am looking to put a high pressure duct over the sump (looks like you have done something similar or it simply the oil-cooler bracket?) but this duct will need to be fully enclosed and carefully engineered so as not to pressurise the low-pressure side of the cowling. I am also looking to install a duct for ram air to the inlet of the Aero-injector carb as well
Just out of interest, does your oil filter and oil-cooler bracket have a fuel-pump drive off the other end and is that connected to Revflow carb? Of course the Aerovee is purely gravity fed, but I read that fuel “burping” is a regular issue…(I will look to install a burp tube in mine whilst I have the engine out).
Cheers,
HH
Hap Hazard

Postby BRS » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:09 pm

The oil filter is from K&P https://kandpengineering.com/product/s15/. I started using Napa Gold filters on my IO-360 in the Sportsman years ago then I came across these. So I'm now running them in the Sonex as well. Tired of spending $50 just for an oil filter. So far, I'm very impressed. They also have a certified version for those wanting to spend on it (same filter). Very, very easy to inspect and clean the filter element.

The 'pressure duct' under the sump is needed because the oil cooler is there below. I've done my best to seal it all up since it does dump in the bottom of the cowl reducing air pressure differential. After modifying the cowl with an RV-6 snout I soon learned that ram-air into the RevFlow/AeroInjector TBI's does not work. But since installing the Rotec MKII they have said that my ram-air should be fine. I'm assuming it's because of the regulator and that the spray bar works more on low pressure created over the spray bar. So, I'm in the process of unblocking the ram and fashioning a filter solution for it.

No fuel pump - strictly gravity.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Hap Hazard » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:25 pm

IMG_1386.jpeg
Hi All, to wrap this one up, here’s an interesting post that might help future decisions on which spin-on oil filter kits to go for.
Originally I had obtained a certain product (whom wouldn’t talk to me after I mentioned aircraft, but weirdly looks like some of their stuff looks to be supplied with my engine) and I decided to “flow the galleries” more and actually widen them out a bit. As the casting felt pretty heavy, I lightened it up by taking off some of the casting along the beefy body and took a little more weight out by making the cooling fins run full length of the casting. All-in-all, I managed to shave off around 7.5oz and got it down to around 17 oz.
Shortly after I looked at the EMPI product again and contacted EMPI as I was unsure what the casing was just behind the spin-on filter itself. I assumed it was probably some sort of by-pass valve if the pressure across the filter got too high. Obviously this would be a far more worthwhile feature if my assumption was correct as it would help in preventing blowing the filter sealing ring out and dumping all the oil. So I contacted EMPI for more details.
Yes, I was correct, it is a Bypass valve. The spring inside is set to bypass the filter when oil pressure in the supply line reaches 95 psi and dumps the oil directly into the pump-return line.
So here’s the findings between the two:
EMPI:
Pros: by-pass valve (a must for our application)
Better quality casting
Offset of spin-on oil filter sits 5/8 inch further back from prop boss (see photo of two brands)
Much lighter casting (weighed without pump or filter) at 16.4 oz’s.
Cons: slightly smaller oil galleries with some obvious restrictions on 90 deg bends
Cannot bore out galleries
Casting flashing which restricted flow on supply gallery

Other, “well-known” brand
Pros: easy to bore out gallery size
More easily to flow bends
Cons: no safety by-pass valve
Heavy at 25 oz
Poor quality casting despite generally excellent reputation for high-end VW aftermarket parts

Clearly the EMPI product is the one to go for, lighter, better quality (despite being made in China, which to be fair, probably both were). I removed the by-pass valve and spring and removed any casting flashings and removed any sharp bends by flowing the galleries where they abruptly changed direction. Flushed system out to remove swarf from my die-grinder.

Hope this helps in choosing which spin-on kit to go for?

Extra info, pump size on the EMPI product is huge, with 32mm gears, whereas other brand, was 26mm gears (same size as Standard Sonex Aerovee size pump). I may try fitting the 26mm geared bypass pump first and see how that goes?
Hap Hazard

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee