Buying second hand Jabirus

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Buying second hand Jabirus

Postby fastj22 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:36 pm

For those of us considering buying second hand Jabiru 3300s, here's what I've learned so far.

1) The folks at Jabiru USA are very helpful.
2) There are a few exhaust manfolds, some may not fit the Sonex.
2.5) Most Sonex do not use a muffler.
3) They sell prop hub extenders for various airframes. The Sonex uses the stock one. Zenith 601 uses the extended. If you buy a motor from a 601, expect to purchase a stock extender.
4) Sonex will sell you the FWF manual but only if you purchase the cooling kit for $250 which I probably need anyways.

Other than that, its a sexy looking engine. Can't wait to hang it and get her purring.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Re: Buying second hand Jabirus

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Congrats on the purchase!! How many hours are on the engine? Post some pics when you get a chance :P
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:00 pm

50 hours. Owner had grounded his zenith for the spar repairs and passed away before he finished. His widow and the local eaa chapter parted out the plane.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby fastj22 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:28 am

Update...
Much learned.
There are several exhaust systems for the Jab3300. And at sometime during the production, Jabiru changed heads so not all exhaust manifolds fit all Jabs.
Older heads used a two bolt flange, newer use a three bolt.
Early Sonex Jabs had a custom exhaust just for Sonex. At some point Jab quit production of the custom exhaust and replaced it with a new manifold that was similar but still fit the two bolt flange. Didn't notify Sonex either according to my source.
So, I have a two bolt flange manifold that won't fit under the Sonex cowl because it interfers on the forward cylinder. I called Sonex, they told me I might be SOL because I have the old heads and that exhaust is no longer made. I called JabUSA and they had one set original Sonex manifold on the shelf. Better to be lucky than good, daddy said. Put the old manifold and muffler on Barnstormers and sold it in two days recovering 50% of my cost for the new manifold.
I'm pretty sure if I ever upgrade to the Rotac water cooled heads, I'll also be looking at buying another manifold.

There are several prop hubs out there. Sonex uses the "stock" one, no extension. Mine had a 2" extension. JabUSA had the stock one and gave me a substantial credit for the return of the extended one.

There is an AD on the through bolts for crankcase. Seems the nuts are too weak and need to be upgraded. Having dealt with ADs on my C150, it just drives me nutz to think you are good to go, but now have to spend time and money addressing it. At least this time I can do the work myself. But gotta spend $100 on tools and materials to accomplish it.

Overall, I'm very please with the support I've gotten from Sonex and Jabiru USA on this.

John Gillis
fastj22

Return to Jabiru