Voltage Regulator Failures

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Re: Voltage Regulator Failures

Postby lpaaruule » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 am

I'm suspecting a alternator, or voltage regulator issue on my plane. My tach started reading incorrectly a few months ago. I've looked at the wiring and haven't found any issues so far.

Yesterday it seemed to fix itself. I was flying along and my voltage was at ~13.8, and RPM read the same with and without the left mag turned on (mag pickup is the secondary tach input). About 15 minutes into the flight I notice that my RPM dropped to around 1200. I knew this was incorrect, as I would have heard a difference, and felt a loss of power, which didn't happen.

At the same time I also noticed that my voltage had jumped to 14.7V.

In the past, when the tach worked, my voltage was always around 13.8. It has been in the mid to upper 14's for recently, which coincides with the incorrect tach reading.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby lpaaruule » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 pm

It was the regulator
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby gyroron » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:19 am

I am chasing a no charging issue on my plane, 3300 jabiru, and this past weekend I unplugged the regulator and ran leads from the alternator into the cockpit and ran the engine, using a voltmeter to check voltage on the alternator.

Best I could get was around 18 volts, this was with the engine at over 2500 rpms. At a fast idle it was making around 13-14 volts.

I bought two regulators off amazon to try out, and neither made any change to my charging issue. I am wondering if my alternator is just not putting out the right level of current
Ron Awad
Legacy Model Waiex TD
3300 Jabiru
Charlotte NC area
gyroron

Postby pappas » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 am

Gyroron,

For what it is worth, I also had regulator issues earlier this year. I tried to verify the alternator output with a multimeter and found a broken alternator lead which I repaired. Subsequent to that, I too bought two regulators off of amazon. Neither worked. I bought one from a local generator shop after they diagnosed my original as being bad. That one did not work either. I went through this exercise because these things should cost $15 to $20 and Sonex wants a lot more for them. I bit the bullet and ordered one from Sonex. Of course, it worked immediately. Still a little pissed... ;-)
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby gyroron » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:23 am

pappas wrote:Gyroron,

For what it is worth, I also had regulator issues earlier this year. I tried to verify the alternator output with a multimeter and found a broken alternator lead which I repaired. Subsequent to that, I too bought two regulators off of amazon. Neither worked. I bought one from a local generator shop after they diagnosed my original as being bad. That one did not work either. I went through this exercise because these things should cost $15 to $20 and Sonex wants a lot more for them. I bit the bullet and ordered one from Sonex. Of course, it worked immediately. Still a little pissed... ;-)

how much was the one from sonex?
Ron Awad
Legacy Model Waiex TD
3300 Jabiru
Charlotte NC area
gyroron

Postby tx_swordguy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:39 am

For a true “OEM” regulator for the jab 3300 set up look for a kubota tractor regulator. It will be about $60. I don’t have a part number off hand. I also placed a 4” 12v fan in front of mine to keep it cooler. I did not want to steal anymore cooling air from the baffles by making a blast tube. The Chinese copies if they work initially don’t seem to last long. Jeff Shultz was looking into a double throw down regulator than he was impressed with. If I remember right it was around $200 but my memory isn’t that good, at least my wife tells me that.
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Postby peter anson » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:59 pm

gyroron wrote:I am chasing a no charging issue on my plane, 3300 jabiru, and this past weekend I unplugged the regulator and ran leads from the alternator into the cockpit and ran the engine, using a voltmeter to check voltage on the alternator.

Best I could get was around 18 volts, this was with the engine at over 2500 rpms. At a fast idle it was making around 13-14 volts.

I bought two regulators off amazon to try out, and neither made any change to my charging issue. I am wondering if my alternator is just not putting out the right level of current

The manual specifies 30 VAC at 3000 rpm with no load so it would appear that the stator is faulty. The fact that you have some voltage there might indicate shorts between windings.

Peter
peter anson

Postby pappas » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:05 am

[quote="gyroron"][quote="pappas"]Gyroron,

I think it was about $65
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby gyroron » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:50 am

peter anson wrote:
gyroron wrote:I am chasing a no charging issue on my plane, 3300 jabiru, and this past weekend I unplugged the regulator and ran leads from the alternator into the cockpit and ran the engine, using a voltmeter to check voltage on the alternator.

The manual specifies 30 VAC at 3000 rpm with no load so it would appear that the stator is faulty. The fact that you have some voltage there might indicate shorts between windings.

Peter

Nick at jabiru USA told me that it should be making 20-30 volts at max rpm. I never got to max rpm, but at 2500-2700 rpms I was pretty close to 20 volts. He said, either it is making voltage or it isn't... That there is no need to replace the alternator if it is doing what it is currently doing. I suspect something is faulty or wired wrong in my case... I am just not sure what.
Ron Awad
Legacy Model Waiex TD
3300 Jabiru
Charlotte NC area
gyroron

Postby DCASonex » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:12 am

At some point a few years ago Jabiru changed from a parallel winding to series winding of the stators. The result is a bit higher voltage per RPM than earlier models. You may have the older version.

David A.
DCASonex

PreviousNext

Return to Jabiru