Jabiru 3300 Oil Analysis Survey

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Re: Jabiru 3300 Oil Analysis Survey

Postby DCASonex » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:27 am

Please check to see that your EGT sensors are reading the cylinders you think they are. I have found that with standard Sonex intake plenums, # 2 will be the hottest, especially during climb as the spiraling air from the prop tends to be directed up and over #2. If you find that to be the case on yours, I have a file posted on the Jab-CAMit forum on how I adjusted for that.

David A. 3300 in Sonex TD.
DCASonex

Re: Jabiru 3300 Oil Analysis Survey

Postby vwglenn » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:45 pm

At one point I replaced all the EGT probes. During that process I swapped the EGT probes to verify that it is, in fact, #6 that gets in the red. Numbers were consistent no matter what the probe/wire configuration. Definitely stays with #6.

I did get the filters opened from my last two oil changes yesterday. The earlier filter showed virtually no signs of metal. The last one had some shiny stuff in it. My IA brilliantly pointed out that only one thing has really changed besides the fresh oil and the cross country to OSH. The oil pump.

For those that don't know, my plane had oil pressure issues when I got it. Turns out it had a 2200 pump on it (from the rebuild?). My IA implied that the new 3300 pump may be just getting happy in it's new role but we should pull the cover and have a look in the near future. Think I have about 7 hours on the current oil. I'm going to double that and pull another sample and have a look at the pump.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Previous

Return to Jabiru