Bing Carb issues

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Bing Carb issues

Postby Eagleavn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:48 am

TO All,

I am putting a jabiru equiped Sonex back together and have a question about the throttle linkage assembly. When i recieved the partially assembled acft the engine wasmostly back together but not installed on the airframe. I hooked up the carb lever with the cables, the throttle linkage is spring loaded to the wide open postion.

My question is , how does the Bing Carb get connected and managed if the the throttle is WFO? What is the correct connection and where do i find that info?

Thnaks,
Lloyd P.
eagleavn@verizon.net
Eagleavn

Re: Bing Carb issues

Postby N190YX » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:23 am

My certified airplane also has a spring to take the throttle to full if the throttle control fails. That way the engine can be used to get to a landing, by controlling power with the mixture, either full power or no power is better than only no power should the throttle control fail in flight without a spring to take the carburetor or fuel injection control unit to full power.
N190YX

Postby Eagleavn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:39 pm

What certified airplane do you have? I am an A&P i have seen mixture controls with a spring, but never a throttle....

LP
Eagleavn

Postby Eagleavn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:42 pm

i guess the bigger question is, Is this the way the Bing is supposed to be? And if so what cable and mechanism works best for the throttle?LP
Eagleavn

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Eagleavn wrote:What certified airplane do you have? I am an A&P i have seen mixture controls with a spring, but never a throttle....

LP

I saw this on the 1946 PA12 I learned to fly in.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Eagleavn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Oh cool, i dont have any time on those Babies....Lots of PA-22 Tri-Pacer times, both flying and Maintenance....
Eagleavn

Postby peter anson » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:13 pm

I am guessing that when you flew the Tripacer, the throttle operation was push forward to open the throttle. That's how it works on thousands of Cessnas and by my limited experience, that is how every aircraft works, so that is how you connect the throttle cable. If you are using a plunger knob type throttle the job is really simple - set the knob at the full throttle position and connect the cable to the throttle arm on the Bing. When you pull the knob back, the throttle closes and the adjustable friction keeps it closed. As far as which certified aircraft uses this arrangement, every one that is supplied with a Rotax engine for a start. If you are using a lever-type throttle, the cable connector on the lever must be above the pivot. I have a Vans throttle lever in my Sonex and that's how it was supplied.

Peter
peter anson

Postby sonex892. » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:33 pm

I use the an ACS push pull throttle with friction lock. I think I had to modify the carby lever as it was setup to pull to open and the Cessna style throttle was push to open.

I also ditched the spring after the first couple of flights. I was more worried about a collision on the ground while fumbling between the brake and throttle lever. I now have toe brakes so could maybe put that spring back on.
Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby N190YX » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Eagleavn wrote:What certified airplane do you have? I am an A&P i have seen mixture controls with a spring, but never a throttle....

LP

Debonair with TCM Continental IO-470 engine, I believe all the TCM big bore (IO-470, IO-520 and IO-550) fuel injected engines have the spring on the throttle plate to pull it to full throttle should the throttle control fail. Frankly, I consider this a safety issue and plan to have such a spring on the engine on my Waiex. (Don't know what engine I will select yet but thinking of the UL Power 130 horsepower engine. You can't have too many cubic inches and/or too much power! The more the better.)
N190YX

Return to Jabiru