jabiru 3300 distributor shaft seal

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

jabiru 3300 distributor shaft seal

Postby tx_swordguy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:17 pm

I noticed some oil dripping off the edge of the distributor on both sides of the engine the other day and I assume I need to replace the rotor shaft seals. I was wondering if I can do this with the engine still on the plane and how hard it will be? Is there a part number that is floating around or do I have to go through jabiru north america? Any info would be helpful
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Re: jabiru 3300 distributor shaft seal

Postby peter anson » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:44 pm

Just as likely that the oil has blown back from a weep somewhere else, however you should be able to check that pretty quickly by removing the distributor cap to check for oil inside. I think it should be possible to change the seals without removing the engine but you should be aware that when you remove the distributor cap mounting plate, which houses the seal, you are pretty likely to disturb the mounting spacer gasket (just sealant) and once that moves I think it is possible to lose the distributor timing position, so you need to start the work knowing where everything should be pointing.
The seal is a pretty ordinary 15 x 24 x 7
A parts manual and overhaul manual are available for download on the Jabiru web site.

Peter
peter anson

Re: jabiru 3300 distributor shaft seal

Postby Friesen5 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:42 am

I’ve replaced the seal on my 2200 while it was on the airplane. I took off the distributor cap, pried off the rotor (it’s held on with epoxy), and removed the 2 hex head bolts. The distributor plate should come off. My standoffs also came off. I then pried out the seal, lubed and greased up a new seal, and inserted it back into the plate. I cleaned up the shaft and oiled it. I used 515 Permatex/Loctite gasket maker/ sealant (its red in colour) on the mating metal parts when I put it back together. Remember to lube the seal well as you put it back together.

Reassembly is found on page 122 of the Manual found at this link. https://jabiru.net.au/service/manuals/

Mervin Friesen
Friesen5

Return to Jabiru