Replacement Jabiru Voltage Regulator: Follow-up

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Postby sonex1374 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:08 pm

In Nov 2017 my original Jabiru Voltage Regulator (the Kubota OEM unit) failed after approximately 3 yrs and 250 hrs in service. I replaced the Kubota with a Caltric model R11-2 voltage regulator. You can find the details of that replacement in my original post, below.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2059&p=30468#p30468

This unit worked well, and I especially liked the slightly increased charging voltage that kept my Odyssey batter topped off better than the old Kubota. However, the unit failed on me last weekend while out on a cross country flight, after approx. 150 hrs in service over 18 months of use. The unit apparently got VERY hot internally and melted the output area of the internal circuitry, so much that it liquefied some of the black potting resin and dripped a bit down the case. There was no fire, nor any apparent risk of one, but it did make a small mess and stink badly!

In the past we've discussed the need to keep regulators cool, and recommended things such as mounting the case to a good heat sink surface, using heat transfer paste, mounting the cooling fins vertically to promote convection, and even adding a blast tube or small 12v fan to the force air over the fins. My unit was well mounted to the battery box mounting bad, with fins oriented horizontally, and good airflow around it (but free convection only). I've since replaced the regulator with a like unit and added a 60mm 12volt cooling fan strapped to the heat sink fins. We'll see how this works, and how the fan holds up.

I'm not sure why the unit overheated. The battery was topped off before the flight, and the voltage seemed normal for the 3 hr flight earlier in the day, so I don't believe the alternator was working especially hard to recharge a low battery. It's possible that when I taxi'd through a wet ramp on the way to the fuel pump that some water splashed up inside the cowl and got into something it shouldn't have. This seems unlikely, but it may not be coincidental that the very next full-power application after the water is when it died. The first indications of pending failure was an erratic rpm reading (the Dynon picks the tach signal off the alternator pigtail near the regulator); rpm jumped around for about 10 seconds until quitting all together, likely when the unit burned up. Interestingly, the voltage output remained at or below battery bus voltage (about 12 volts) the entire time, and the crowbar over-voltage protection system did not trip and take the alternator offline - as far as the crowbar was concerned, everything was working properly. When I lost RPM and saw the output voltage at 12 volts, I realized the problem and manually turned off the alternator switch.

Four conclusions come to mind from this experience. First, ensure you carry the spare parts you've identified to carry in your travel kit. I had both my charger and spare voltage regulator sitting in the hangar, where they did me no good. This was just going to be a quick day-trip, and I let myself become somewhat lax in my preparations. Second, erratic rpm readings might suggest an imminent alternator or voltage regulator failure, and it might be a good idea to immediately take the alternator offline to stop the failure in its tracks (maybe, maybe not). Third, know how long your battery will power your electrical needs without the alternator working. I had an estimate of this, but I had never tested it in actual use. After the regulator quit is was not very comforting to have any hard numbers to go on. I plan to do a full-up actual timed test to see how long my battery will keep things running at a typical flight load. Finally, I really am looking forward to buying one of the new B&C PM alternator voltage regulators that should be out in the next couple months. I spoke to B&C at AirVenture, and they promised them soon!

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby caveman370 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:09 pm

I’ll be interested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
caveman370

Re: Replacement Jabiru Voltage Regulator: Follow-up

Postby sonex1374 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Actually, if I can get a sense of how many people are interested in ordering one that might help move things along.

All,

If you think you're interested in ordering a new B&C PM alternator voltage regulator, let me know. These regulators will work on Rotax, Jabiru and AeroVee (and similar VW) engines. They're supposed to be about $200, but will probably be the last regulator you'll ever need to buy.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby NWade » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:22 pm

sonex1374 wrote:If you think you're interested in ordering a new B&C PM alternator voltage regulator, let me know. These regulators will work on Rotax, Jabiru and AeroVee (and similar VW) engines. They're supposed to be about $200, but will probably be the last regulator you'll ever need to buy.

Jeff

Count me in, thanks Jeff!

—Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Postby jaflint » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Me too. I plan to try one with the John Deere PM alternator. Just had to replace my first Yanmar VR after 340 hours.
Jason Flint
Sonex #1655
3.0L Corvair
1140+ hours
2500+ landings!
jaflint

Postby bobc170a » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi Jeff,

I am interested in the B&C Jab regulator, so count me in. I still have an original Jab3300 regulator after 300 hours and four years,
but it could go at anytime.
regards, Bob Ohlson sonex528rj@gmail.com
Sonex TD Jab3300 aeroinjector
bobc170a

Postby fastj22 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Ditto. I'm in.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:49 pm

Hi Jeff, all,
I stopped by flyboys booth at osh 19, said hi to vince and blake. Blake indicated that they are working on the sonex brakes set up.
B&C Is this a group purchase to get a discount? Or just to show them we are interested so they will carry this product? Bill’s sons have grown up and taking over their dads business. Excellent quality stuff!!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby kjgayneaux » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Hello All,

Jeff, I am interested!

On my flight back home from Oshkosh I started seeing some erratic numbers on both my voltage and amps (15+ volts, 14 amps). I think temperature played a big part of this, as it was extremely hot at my last two fuel stops, and the numbers went back to normal after I got a little altitude and air flow was good. I think my current regulator is near the end of its life.

Has anyone else experienced something similar, and did it lead to the end of life for your regulator? Either way, I’m currently down for my condition inspection and will install a new one until the B&C regulators are available.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
KJGayneaux - N125YX
kjgayneaux@gmail.com
ExperimentalAdventure.com
kjgayneaux

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Count me in
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015