80hp Jab what to know when considering a purchase

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

80hp Jab what to know when considering a purchase

Postby patriot3300 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:07 am

Hello All,

New guy here considering purchasing a Sonex with 80hp jab.

What do i need to look out for with this engine at 300hrs
?
I dont have any specific specs at this time other then the engine total time and im assuming its an old engine.

Thanks In Advance !

Stuart
patriot3300

Re: 80hp Jab what to know when considering a purchase

Postby peter anson » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:49 pm

You will need the engine number to get specific information. You can check the Jabiru website for upgrades specific to that engine and make sure they have been carried out.

You should also check the weight and balance information for the aircraft. The 2200 engine is very light and I have heard of an instance of a 2200 Sonex having dangerously aft C of G. It probably should be polished rather than painted although a friend has a beautiful painted 2200 Sonex. He used a prop extension to help get weight a little further forward.

Peter
peter anson

Postby patriot3300 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:10 pm

peter anson wrote:You will need the engine number to get specific information. You can check the Jabiru website for upgrades specific to that engine and make sure they have been carried out.

You should also check the weight and balance information for the aircraft. The 2200 engine is very light and I have heard of an instance of a 2200 Sonex having dangerously aft C of G. It probably should be polished rather than painted although a friend has a beautiful painted 2200 Sonex. He used a prop extension to help get weight a little further forward.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I am working on getting more information as i write this AND
will keep the w&b issue at the forefront/ check the Jabiru site when i have the Serial#

Your response is so appreciated !

Stuart
patriot3300

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:05 pm

hi stuart,
do you plan on using the baggage area? if so be very careful on loading any weight back there. u may want to reengine with a jab3300. or look for a jab 3300 powered sonex. remember also, as fuel burns off the cg moves aft.
be careful!

best,

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby DCASonex » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:29 am

A 2200 in a Sonex can be a very nice plane. Friend has one and has flown many passengers and also uses it for aerobatics. Just use common sense for the weight and balance. As for the engine itself, find out as much history on it as you can from the buyer and the log book as to modifications and upgrades that may have been made to it. When you have the serial number, more info can be obtained by folks on the Jabiru / CAMit forum.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby patriot3300 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:35 am

Thanks Michael and David !

I will take all these points into consideration moving forward.

It seem to have read that a prop hub extension would be a good idea,I am here to learn !

Many Thanks,

Stuart
patriot3300

Postby Corby202 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:05 pm

With a 300 hr Jab engine I would ask to see a leak down test performed or at least see the results. A lot of Jab engines have been ruined by high cht's.
A 80 hp Jab engine is an excellent choice for a Sonex A model. Like most things we do in aviation its all about compromises. I fitted the extended prop hub not only for CofG reasons, it also allowed me to use the Jabiru supplied ram air ducts and it also allowed me to fit the oil cooler at the front of the engine. There is a fair amount of work in modifying the cowling to push it forward the required amount.
Hope this helps
Phil
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby patriot3300 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Corby202 wrote:With a 300 hr Jab engine I would ask to see a leak down test performed or at least see the results. A lot of Jab engines have been ruined by high cht's.
A 80 hp Jab engine is an excellent choice for a Sonex A model. Like most things we do in aviation its all about compromises. I fitted the extended prop hub not only for CofG reasons, it also allowed me to use the Jabiru supplied ram air ducts and it also allowed me to fit the oil cooler at the front of the engine. There is a fair amount of work in modifying the cowling to push it forward the required amount.
Hope this helps
Phil

That’s why I joined up here !

Thanks Phil for the great information !

The jab is looking more viable every day.

Cheers,

Stuart
patriot3300

Return to Jabiru