Jabiru Engine Issue

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Jabiru Engine Issue

Postby JabiruGlider » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:21 am

IMG_7700.jpg
IMG_7701.jpg
IMG_7652.jpg

Looking for advice. posted this about a year ago. still no joy from jabiru
Got this pic’ from my LAME at the latest service. Metal in the oil and filter of my Jabiru 3300 engine with only 150hrs Hobbs time. Run and maintained as per Jabiru’s instructions. CHT & EGT and oil temperature & pressure always fine on the Dynon EMS. Not even a runup until they were in the green. Oil changes were all clean until this.
Jabiru emailed the LAME “…. monitor and recheck at 10 hours (25 hours at the very most) and reassess as necessary”. I am not keen to fly it.
The LAME took off the rocker covers & found severe wear. See Pics.
Some time has passed & the plane is still sitting in the LAME’s Hanger. I just want to get flying & can’t afford a new engine.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
JabiruGlider

Re: Jabiru Engine Issue

Postby sonex1374 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:33 pm

JabiruGlider,

Jabiru had a bad batch of rocker shaft bushings a while back (you'll have to data mine the service bulletins and overhaul manual for hints to which SN's may have been affected). The solution described was to replace the bushings with new ones. Hard to say if more is needed on your engine, but the wear you have on your engine is not an entirely isolated occurrence.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby tx_swordguy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:57 am

Have a solid lifter and just ordered 6 rocker shafts and 12 bushings it was about 200$. Have not had a chance to Replace. Reason for the order is i had a scored cyl about 1 yr ago and pulled the rest to look. Had several rocker shafts the had some scoring and a couple worn bushes. I replaced worn bushes at the time and at my next 25 hr i will replace all bushes and shafts. Hoping to just call it a wearable item and go on. The jabs dont seem to be a sit and forget engine. You need to be paying attention and try to stay ahead of issues. It is what it is
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Postby n502pd » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:37 pm

Boy, that sure looks like oil starvation to me. check the oiling system for blockages. and might consider another type of oil? system might be sludged up somewhere with a plug of junk? Just thoughts!
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Return to Jabiru