valve job shop recommendations?

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

valve job shop recommendations?

Postby JohnBlackstone » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:58 pm

Low compression (20) on no. 3 cyl. Intake valve not seating--light shows through when valve is closed.

Mechanic removed, inspected, cleaned valve and seat, but says I need a valve job. I'd love a local Dallas area shop, but will also send to Jabiru.

Anyone have a recommendation for a reliable/reasonable shop in the USA for a valve job?

I’m waiting for a return call from Jabiru North America. Also, ballpark price if anyone has had this done recently?

Thanks in advance.
JohnBlackstone

Re: valve job shop recommendations?

Postby lakespookie » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:13 pm

Depending on the bore scope of the head you might be able to get away with doing a lap in place if its not to far off that being said if they pulled the valve they pulled the cylinder a valve lapping is fairly easy to do you really would only need a valve jobif you had significant deformation of the seat and or valve face in which case you would need a machine shop to grind down the seat and the valve face, that being said if you do decide to just lap it make sure the valve guide is in good shape with minimal to no wear i suspect the jabiru manual has specifications for the valve guides, Did the valve have any discoration or just a bad seat?
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Re: valve job shop recommendations?

Postby Wood » Tue May 02, 2023 8:31 am

I ended up doing a complete valve job after lost compression on number 2 and 4. It was a result of the valve guides coming unseated and ended up throwing a couple of rods.
After talking to Nick at Arion Aircraft I decided to change all my valves to the double spring instead of the original single spring.
Try to find an aircraft engine shop here was impossible as they would not touch it due to liability issues. So I ended up finding competition engines ( great guys and awesome work). The support between them and Nick and the collaboration between both Competition engines and Arion aircraft on aparts and questions was great.
It took about 3 months to complete the job which was understandable and cost me roughly $3500 CDN.

Just be an aware which I had issues and no fault of Nicks whatsoever ever it was an issues with the distributor of the oversized valve seats that needed to be replaced. It seemed that when they set my oversized seats they did not send a pinch number with it and that needed to be found out before they could be fitted.

I will say that the service between Nick at Airion and Competition Engines was impressive.

Good luck with that repair
Lyncrest Airport - CJL5
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sonex Legacy #0327
Jabiru 2200
Serial # 22A 1130
AeroConversions
Wood

Return to Jabiru