Over Voltage Protection - Jabiru PM Generator

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Over Voltage Protection - Jabiru PM Generator

Postby WilliamBatten » Fri May 12, 2023 1:25 pm

Last year at AirVenture, B&C told me they were just a few weeks away from having their AVC-1 certified to work with the Jabiru PM Generator. Just talked to them today - appears they ran into an issue that will now require a complete re-design of the AVC to be compatible with the Jabiru PM generator. This re-design is a long way away - would not give me an expectation date.

So, my question to this group is - how have you protected your charging system against an Over Voltage event (per Bob Nuckolls)?

Part numbers and/or schematics would be very helpful.
Bill
N67WX - Reserved
Waiex-B Taildragger
Jabiru 3300
WilliamBatten

Re: Over Voltage Protection - Jabiru PM Generator

Postby DCASonex » Sun May 14, 2023 11:27 am

I have been using one of Bob Nuckoll's Crow bar over voltage protectors in my Sonex with Jabiru / CAMit 3300s since day one back in 2012 with no problems. In my installation, all power from the red lead of the voltage regulator goes to a contactor which is turned on through its own 3 amp breaker when the master switch is turned on. If over 15 volts, the crowbar shorts out that 3 amp breaker that breaker opening the contactor. Send me your direct e-mail if you want a look at my wiring diagram.

David A.
DCASonex

Re: Over Voltage Protection - Jabiru PM Generator

Postby WilliamBatten » Tue May 16, 2023 8:49 am

I'm a strong supporter of the Bob Nuckolls approach to electrical systems. Unfortunately, we now find ourselves in a time where Nuckolls no longer "sells" devices. (Sure glad we still have his books)

Nuckolls always spoke highly of B&C - and they sold several devices that he had designed in the past. However, B&C also no longer sells a crowbar OV Module suitable for the Jabiru PM Generator. There current device claims it is only good for their PM Alternator.

Lastly, when I spoke with B&C - they told me they were too busy to work on devices for the Jabiru - focused on the 1960's legacy engines. And, I have not been able to find a 12 volt Crowbar OV Module for sale with an internet search.

Personally, I'm not comfortable making an electrical device suitable for an aircraft. But, I'm guessing there is one of our fellow builders out there that could make and sell these Crowbar OV Modules to the Jabiru fleet. Another option would be to start with the B&C OV protection kit - and modify it to work with the Jabiru engine.

Any takers?
Bill
N67WX - Reserved
Waiex-B Taildragger
Jabiru 3300
WilliamBatten

Return to Jabiru