Diesel anyone?

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Diesel anyone?

Postby fastj22 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:12 pm

This is pretty interesting.
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... c_sect=snf

160lbs, 100hp, burns jet fuel, supercharged, 2000 hour TBO.

Fascinating theory.
http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/ho ... nciple.php

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Re: Diesel anyone?

Postby Bruce593SX » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:07 am

Sounds pretty exciting, other then the $25K price.... :-)
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby DCASonex » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:47 am

A very interesting and unique design. Thanks for the link $25k price would put it right with Rotax, the most popular engine for Light Sport (other than Sonex). Could be invaluable if as expected government messes up lead free av-gas so much as to make it un-available and/or un-affordable. Our engines will run on good Mo-gas but quality varies so much as to make it unreliable when traveling away from home airports.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:42 pm

My initial take on this is its promising for slow type airframes that are currently using Rotax's.
I'm a skeptic when it comes to a Sonex airframe. For the same reason the Rotax is a marginal install.
Gearing. This is using reduction instead of direct drive and turns to slow for our style of airframe with its broad speed range.
I don't see a Sonex using a 70" prop very successfully. I'd guess that's going to be about in the range of diameter this engine is going to be pared with. Maybe even a touch longer.
If I was building something along the lines of Highlander, I'd be looking hard at something like this.

Larry
Waiex 121, 416hrs. Jab 3300, solid
LarryEWaiex121

Postby fastj22 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:40 pm

LarryEWaiex121 wrote:My initial take on this is its promising for slow type airframes that are currently using Rotax's.
I'm a skeptic when it comes to a Sonex airframe. For the same reason the Rotax is a marginal install.
Gearing. This is using reduction instead of direct drive and turns to slow for our style of airframe with its broad speed range.
I don't see a Sonex using a 70" prop very successfully. I'd guess that's going to be about in the range of diameter this engine is going to be pared with. Maybe even a touch longer.
If I was building something along the lines of Highlander, I'd be looking hard at something like this.

Larry
Waiex 121, 416hrs. Jab 3300, solid

Interesting take.
Wouldn't you just be able to increase the pitch of the prop to deal with a lower RPM with the same diameter?

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to Other Engines