One persons experience with a Subaru conversion

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

One persons experience with a Subaru conversion

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:58 pm

I am starting a new thread regarding auto conversions. Let me say up front I edited it to protect myself and my friend. I am not posting this to try to be negative, or to change anyone's mind about their engine choice. I know better.

I believe that a well developed and engineered, and especially well TESTED, auto conversion is a great solution for experimental aircraft. I am planning an AeroVee, and regardless of how you paint it, it is an auto conversion. I will add that I did a LOT of research on the subject, and asked a lot of questions. I think an AeroVee is a good solution, and recognize there are others equally qualified.

Having said that....here is one persons experience....take it as it is written.

"...after much research and several glowing recommendations from fellow GlaStar builders, I placed a deposit on a Subaru Firewall Forward package. This included the modified 2.5 liter Subaru flat 4 engine with mount, adjustable prop and a complete electrical system. I had seen the engine at Oshkosh the previous summer and was very impressed with the whole package, it really did seem like a very well engineered auto conversion.

About 12 weeks after placing the order I got a call saying the engine was ready to ship and the balance was due. I was sent a dyno report for my engine (supposedly). I wired the balance and waited
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: One persons experience with a Subaru conversion

Postby Mike53 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:45 am

It's unfortunate you can't mention the name of the company but I understand the fear of reprisal in the states. Lawsuits won with huge payouts that baffle the logic of reason.Even though this company has ripped off numerous customers they still have the power to start up again under a different name and continue to wreak havoc on other unsuspecting honest individuals.
The unfortunate part is that every company that deals in Subaru conversions will get painted with the same brush as a result. Such is the power of the internet today.
I feel bad for your friend and I hope he finds a way to make it work.The one thing your post makes clear is 'Caveat emptor' -let the buyer beware.
Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Return to Other Engines