Revmaster R-2300

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Revmaster R-2300

Postby Mike53 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:37 pm

michell wrote:I'm new at this but I'd go with the AeroVee from a TBO/cost standpoint. The chatter seems to indicate that the Revmaster is susceptible to case cracking around 500 hours, regardless of how you baby the engine. The recommended TBO on the Aerovee is around 1200 hours I think. The cost to OH a Revmaster by the manufacturer is around $4200. Since you have to assemble the AeroVee (15-20 hrs), you'll be able to do the OH yourself on the AeroVee for $500-1200 in parts depending on what's needed. JMHO

Jan

I'm just curious,where did this chatter originate? It is the first I have heard about it keeping in mind also that the 2300 has been in production maybe a little more than a year.
If it's like any other topic on the internet what goes in comes out looking like a whole new story once it does the rounds of all the aviation forums.
Case in point The myth about the Aerovee crank /hub failures.Once you do the research ask questions directly to the designer you will conclude as I have that it is just that, a myth,but the story continues to live on and gets repeated ad-infinitum.The truth is the Aerovee has never had a crank/hub failure as a result of poor design.

Someone somewhere had a case crack on a Revmaster, for what reason we don't know now ,maybe not even when the story was told, and years later, and thousands of forum comments from those that heard about a cracked case on the Revmaster and presto Revmaster builds engines that only go 500 hrs between rebuilds.
One thing I am certain about is that if Mr Horvath had issues with case cracking in his earlier engine versions I am confident that he will have engineered it out in his latest R2300.Also if his engines only went 500 hrs between complete rebuilds he would have been out of the aviation business long ago
He has been building and selling engines for longer than all his competition put together .

I haven't decided on my engine choice yet but am leaning toward The Great Plains or the Revmaster. The Aerovee is currently out of the running only because I don't want to build it and no other reason.I consider all three equal contenders and it may simply come down to shipping costs in the end.
If money was no object than I would automatically order a UL260i or possibly the d-engine but alas money is an issue :lol:
Cheers,and remember before we throw the baby out with the bath water the internet is just a way around the truth :mrgreen:
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Re: Revmaster R-2300

Postby SouthernMage » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:39 am

Tried to send pics but files are way to big. Im just not computer savvy.

Sorry, Joe
SouthernMage

Previous

Return to Other Engines