Corvair - General Info

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Corvair - General Info

Postby daleandee » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:01 am

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Thanks for posting Dale!

Hey Mike,

Thanks to the moderators and the group for giving space to us crazy Corvair guys to get some information out and answer some questions for those that want to seriously consider going this way. As previously noted the way to getting one of these on the nose is a bit different as they are not a factory supported engine. I'm positive that won't ever change but I do not have any heartburn with that in the least. Sonex has not abandoned those of us that use the Corvair conversion as we still get excellent service on all parts of the air plane not related to the Corvair conversion. By the same token I don't suspect that they will warranty any part of my Tracy O'Brien brakes either. In fact, to Jeremy's honor, he was the one that opened the door for Sonex to take a much softer approach to those of us using unapproved engines.

It is an indisputable fact that Corvair engines have been well proven to work on this air frame and have been doing so for fifteen years! Even before Dan Weseman built the aircraft that gave the name of these conversions as a "Cleanex" in 2005, there were those that had flown the engine on a Sonex air frame. I learned this when I started looking at the Corvair as a flight engine in 2003 and was considering building a competitor's product. I'm really glad I didn't do that!

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
166.7 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
daleandee

Postby Gordon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:42 am

Corvair Discussion............

Dale........I like your passion and your knowledge and experience flying with the Corvair. I am an "outsider" on this subject but I find this engine very intriguing. I am near the end of "the build" with my Hummel (VW) powered Onex but next time (never say never) I would give it serious consideration. The "next time" will likely be a Panther so this would be a "good fit".

Does somebody sell a "turn key" engine and what does that cost? That would be the route I would pursue.

Gordon........Onex......Hummel 2400
Gordon

Postby kmacht » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:50 am

Doing some more research and have another question on the Corvair. Can anyone comment on the cg of a tailwheel sonex with a corvair install. Does the battery need to be installed in the tail or can it remain on the firewall while still within cg limits? If in the tail, how far back? My plane is already painted and flying with the aerovee so drilling off the bottom skin to install a battery back there may not be feasible.

Keith
kmacht

Postby daleandee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:16 pm

kmacht wrote:Doing some more research and have another question on the Corvair. Can anyone comment on the cg of a tailwheel sonex with a corvair install. Does the battery need to be installed in the tail or can it remain on the firewall while still within cg limits? If in the tail, how far back? My plane is already painted and flying with the aerovee so drilling off the bottom skin to install a battery back there may not be feasible.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Mine is in the tail & the CG could not be better! It's located in the bay behind the left side inspection cover.

Makes it easy to check the connections & attach a battery charger if needed. Here's a link to a few more photos on my builder's site:

http://websites.expercraft.com/daleandee/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=66461

Dunno if this helps ...

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
166.7 hours / Status - Flying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g
daleandee

Postby daleandee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:33 pm

Sometime back I gave a list of 20 reasons that a builder may want to consider Corvair power for their project. I realize that from time to time other advantages may appear. I have a few more I wanted to add to the previous list of 20:

http://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4102&hilit=corvair&start=10#p31208

21) Inspection inside the case and removal of a connecting rod from the crankshaft is possible by removing the top cover plate (for rod removal) or bottom oil pan. Top cover can be removed without unbolting the engine from the aircraft. Like this:

... and the bottom oil pan removed:

22) Push rod tubes aren't "stretched" to fit so they don't work loose. They are inserted through the head and lock into the block. The use of Viton o-ring seals works very well to prevent leaks.

23) With hydraulic lifters and hollow push rod tubes the rockers arms, springs, and valve stems receive an abundant supply of oil through the hollow push rod tube which has a small hole in the side that allows an oil spray to coat all the moving parts of the valve train assembly.

24 ) The Corvair engine also employs push rod guide plates to help prevent the valve push rods from flexing.

Some on this forum are declaring their love for their VW engines and it's exciting that they have found happiness with their aircraft & engine choices.

Some suggest I'm a little fanatical about my choices but I really like my airplane with the Corvair on the nose. Many of you know this but I'm so taken with this airplane & engine combo that I'm guilty of writing her a song ... but it really is written for anyone that loves getting high with their girlfriend like I do ...

I Wanna Fly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
168.7 hours / Status - Flying
Last edited by daleandee on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby Dennis W. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Does anyone have a William Wynn Corvair Conversion Manual that they would like to get rid of? Currently flying an Aerovee on my Sonex but its time to step up
Dennis W.

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Dennis W. wrote:Does anyone have a William Wynn Corvair Conversion Manual that they would like to get rid of? Currently flying an Aerovee on my Sonex but its time to step up

There are still manuals for sale. I would suggest buying one from FlySPA. They are reliable, easy to work with, and have fast delivery.

I am in the same boat as you - flying an AeroVee, but planning a change as soon as life permits it.

Edit - my error - SPA sells the assembly manual at https://flywithspa.com/product-category/manuals/

The conversion manual is also required -- http://shop.flycorvair.com/product/conversion-manual/
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby kmacht » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:44 pm

I second the idea of ordering a new one. They are periodically updated so ordering one will make sure you get the latest and greatest. If you order either through the fly SPA or the flycorvair site they will both come from Fly SPA. Not sure I agree about shipping though. I ordered it last Tuesday and am still waiting on it to arrive. They ship it out quickly but the type of shipping they use (media) takes forever to make it through the USPS system.

Keith
kmacht

Postby UtahClem » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:28 pm

I am slowly coming around to the idea of a Corvair for my Sonex airframe. However, I'm building a B model and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe Dan Weseman currently offers FWF parts for the Bs. Just curious if anyone out there has plans to hang a Corvair on a B model? Along with that, does anyone know if Dan has any plans to offer engine mounts, nose bowls, etc. for the Bs?
UtahClem

Postby kmacht » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 pm

I don't know about the mount but I think the nose bowl might still work. The fiberglass nose bowl he sells just covers the front of the engine. It is metal from there back to the firewall. Take a look at dales website. He has some good pictures of how the cowl goes together.

Keitg
kmacht

PreviousNext

Return to Other Engines