Voltage

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Voltage

Postby bakerde36 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:27 am

Hi all,
I have the Hummel 2400 engine and yesterday and shortley after leaving the pattern I noticed that both my MGL instruments E3 and F2 were showing my battery at 17 V then proceeded to 18 Volts all the way up to 23.4 volts before I reduced power in the pattern. After I landed I looked again and it was back down to 13.5 which is what I normally see. I do have a Lithium battery. I pulled the battery and it checked out ok. I am thinking it is the charging unit but not sure what the MGL measures the battery or how much charge is comming in. Any Thoughts?
I have had the lithium battery for 2 years and really love it so I hope it is not the battery. Thanks everyone
Densil Baker
Sonex 1578, Tailwheel
Hummel 2400, Prince Ptip 54x50
bakerde36

Re: Voltage

Postby tx_swordguy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:21 pm

never heard of a battery "making" voltage or electricity. If it is not a fluke reading I would look at your charging system. A battery will only hold electricity and a fully charged battery not connected to anything should only read at max about 13.1 volts +/-. When charging it needs slightly higher to get the battery to charge. Normally 14-14.5 volts. above 16 you run the risk of burning your battery up.
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Return to Other Engines