Aeromomentum engines

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Aeromomentum engines

Postby Bill Sargent » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:25 pm

mfazio wrote:I am quite interested in the Aeromomentum engine. As the thread indicates there seem several Sonex builders working on installations. Any updates?

At Oshkosh Mark Kettering indicated that a Sonex (don't recall if it was a Legacy or B-model) was in the process of hanging the engine. Sounded promising that they would have a FWF package available in the near future. I've been trying to get a hold of Mark via email but no response yet. Anyone hear anything?

Mike Fazio
Waiex #63
Wings, tail, aft fuselage - Done!
finishing up Fwd Fuselage.

Thats not good. WHY?? is it that the experimental aircraft engine manufactures are so poor at responding to customers.
I am not for a minute suggesting that Aeromomentum is following in the footsteps of others but be wary of any supplier that doesnt give at least 100% customer service.
Bill Sargent
Sonex #160
X Jabiru Now camit ( enough said)
Bill Sargent

Postby racaldwell » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:58 am

Here is one on a Xenos. The fuel pumps are behind the heat shield you are looking at. There is a large cowl flap for the radiator air underneath. The engine has to be raised to get needed prop clearance. It is moved forward to counterbalance the lead used to counterbalance the control surfaces, and other weight in this build. This one is opposite to my Xenos building philosophy, at least in regards to weight, power and simplicity.

Rick C.
Xenos 0057
Attachments
Aeromomentum Engine Sm.jpg
racaldwell

Postby vigilant104 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:04 pm

racaldwell wrote:Here is one on a Xenos. The fuel pumps are behind the heat shield you are looking at.

Rick,
Thanks very much for the picture. That looks like the low-profile (i.e. "laid down") version of the AM13 engine. IIRC, the total weight (engine, PSRU, radiator, coolant) comes in at approx 205 lbs. 100HP at 2240 prop RPM (5800 engine RPM).

Has he got the cowl figured out? It's hard to tell from the picture, but from other drawings it looks like there might be a portion of the throttle body sitting a little hihg that would at least require a blister on top of the stock cowling--or maybe the whole cowling needs to be re-done.

Any more pix you have on hand (head-on, from the side, etc) would be welcome, this is the first installation I've seen of an Aeromomentum on the firewall of a Sonex product.

Mark
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby racaldwell » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:53 pm

Mark,

Here are some more pics I took Sat. The cowl is the new Sonex but extended about 14" or so. The top cowl barely clears the top rail on the engine which I guess is a fuel rail. There is a cowl attach point on the side that can be seen. The red mechanism is the prop actuator for the feathering prop, I think it is Woodcomp. Yes, the engine is the laid down 100 hp version.

Rick C.
Attachments
Radiator Sm.jpg
Radiator & Cowl Flap
Prop Actuator Sm.jpg
Prop Mechanism
Left Side Sm.jpg
Left Side
Engine Mount Sm.jpg
Engine Mount
Front View Sm.jpg
Front View
racaldwell

Postby vigilant104 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Rick,
Thanks very much, those pictures do a good job of showing his approach. Comments:
- It's surprising to see the engine that far forward, though you've explained the rationale. I can only imagine where a (lighter) Aerovee would have to be. At >some< point there would need to be additional tail volume to offset the added area forward of the CG.
- There's a lot going on under there. All the liquid-cooled installations make the air-cooled installations look clean and simple.
- I wonder how performance would be affected by a simpler exhaust setup. It looks like they've done a good job of folding everything into a compact space, but the weight and under-cowl heat from those long-ish pipes adds up.
- Lots of people have had good things to say about the look, fit, finish of the Aeromomentum components, and these photos appear consistent with those reports.

Thanks again.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby racaldwell » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Mark,

He is enjoying the freedom to experiment with his project, guess that is what really matters. I just hope nobody gets hurt. This will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm trying hard to say positive things.

Rick C.
racaldwell

Postby racaldwell » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:09 pm

It runs! First start of this engine. Turns out it was running on two cylinders. There was a loose connection on one of the ignition modules and when that was clicked into place, all four were firing.
Attachments
Aeromomentum Running Sm.jpg
1st Run
racaldwell

Postby maugir » Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 am

Hi Racaldwell, My name is Mauricio Giraldo I`m located in Bogota Colombia and finishing my Waiex b tail dragger, with an Aeromomentum engine AM15 117 hp. I have a Question what size and type of prop are you thinking,
maugir

Postby racaldwell » Wed May 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Sorry, but that is not my Xenos with the Aeromomentum engine. It is a few hangars over from mine so I see it frequently. He is using a Woodcomp feathering prop. I do not know the size, sorry.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby SP1 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:05 am

Aeromomentum has FWF packages for Sonex Legacy and Sonex Onex.
http://aeromomentum.com/Package.html

Has anyone used?
SP1

PreviousNext

Return to Other Engines