Aeromomentum engines

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Aeromomentum engines

Postby maugir » Sun May 26, 2019 9:58 pm

racaldwell wrote:Sorry, but that is not my Xenos with the Aeromomentum engine. It is a few hangars over from mine so I see it frequently. He is using a Woodcomp feathering prop. I do not know the size, sorry.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057

Thanks Rick, by chance do you have his name or Email?
maugir

Postby maugir » Sun May 26, 2019 11:03 pm

mfazio wrote:I am quite interested in the Aeromomentum engine. As the thread indicates there seem several Sonex builders working on installations. Any updates?

At Oshkosh Mark Kettering indicated that a Sonex (don't recall if it was a Legacy or B-model) was in the process of hanging the engine. Sounded promising that they would have a FWF package available in the near future. I've been trying to get a hold of Mark via email but no response yet. Anyone hear anything?

Mike Fazio
Waiex #63
Wings, tail, aft fuselage - Done!
finishing up Fwd Fuselage.

Hi Mike I reed your mensage.[img][img][/img][/img] My name is Mauricio Giraldo I´m Located in Bogota, Colombia, South America and I´m finishing a Waiex B 0020 tail dragger, with the Aeromomentum engine AM17 117 hp. Mark has not developed any engine mount for sonex. I´m doing that jon with a friend of mine who in an aeronautical engineer ,is almost ready it looks good.
I have not decided which propeller ????? mabe 4 blades 64¨inch, but I have to modify the cowl it will be 4 or 5 inches longer.
I don´t know how to put pictures here.
maugir

Postby racaldwell » Tue May 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Sorry, Mauricio, but I do not know his email. He did not like it when someone told him about the pictures I posted of his project even though I had asked permission before I took the pictures. I guess he just didn't understand what this site was when I mentioned it. For some reason I don't understand, he does not want to share information with anybody he doesn't know. At least that is my take on it.

Rick C.
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby maugir » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:26 am

I just place a video waiex B with aeromomentum on YouTube
maugir

Postby NWade » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:26 pm

I believe this is the video you are referring to, Mauricio?

https://youtu.be/Ko4RFVAMEGo

She looks pretty!

—Noel
NWade

Postby WesRagle » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:39 pm

Hey maugir,

That's an interesting project. Please keep us posted on your progress. It will be interesting to see the FWF with all the accessories added. Would look great with a 4 blade prop :-)

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby alaskawild » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:35 am

Mauricio hello. Just wondering how your project is progressing?

Thanks!

Sam
alaskawild

Postby alaskawild » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:45 am

vigilant104 wrote:Rick,
Thanks very much, those pictures do a good job of showing his approach. Comments:
- It's surprising to see the engine that far forward, though you've explained the rationale. I can only imagine where a (lighter) Aerovee would have to be. At >some< point there would need to be additional tail volume to offset the added area forward of the CG.
- There's a lot going on under there. All the liquid-cooled installations make the air-cooled installations look clean and simple.
- I wonder how performance would be affected by a simpler exhaust setup. It looks like they've done a good job of folding everything into a compact space, but the weight and under-cowl heat from those long-ish pipes adds up.
- Lots of people have had good things to say about the look, fit, finish of the Aeromomentum components, and these photos appear consistent with those reports.

Thanks again.

I'm puzzled about the CG. That does not look right!
alaskawild

Postby racaldwell » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Hello Alaska,

Good eye you have there. He made many modifications to the Sonex designed Xenos that it really shouldn't be called a Sonex anymore. One was mass balancing the control surfaces with lead weight and using spherical ball joints for hinges. The weight of the tail is not normal so he have to make a long engine mount to offset that (& other) weight. The cowl was extended as a result. 1st flight is approaching and I am nervous just knowing about it.

Rick C.
racaldwell

Postby n307tw » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread but I am in the midst of selling my Aervoee Turbo and will be moving forward with helping to develop either the AM13 or AM15 to fit on the front of the B-Model. Waiting to hear back from Mark but given it is a holiday week I am sure I will not hear back soon. Any new developments, or other builders take the plunge with the Aeromomentum family and can share anything with the group? Especially B builders? Any personal experiences with the company since 2018/19 when this thread fizzled out? Thanks so much for any insight you can give. Have a wonderful holiday season!

-Tim
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

PreviousNext

Return to Other Engines