Yamaha aircraft engines?

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Yamaha aircraft engines?

Postby radfordc » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:02 pm

This message was posted to another forum:

It's been TWELVE YEARS since we started doing Yamahas on gyroplanes in 2007! The arguments made against trying them may have been valid twelve years ago but not in 2019.

By now there are well over a hundred Yamaha 3 and 4 cylinder 4-stroke water-cooled engines flying with ZERO failures over 12 years. I myself have several hundreds of hours on a single example, while there are many others who are approaching a thousand.

Steve Henry of Wild West Aircraft flew from Idaho for the fourth straight year in a row in a Yamaha-powered Highlander to Airventure and won GRAND CHAMPION at Oshkosh this year flying and competing in the STOL competitions - and winning every one of them, beating even the Draco turbine Wilga. His Yamaha Apex 4-cyl included my Mohawk Aero gearbox adapter conversion kit. Steve fabricates and sells the Highlander and the Yamaha HIghlander conversion kit parts including exhaust, intake and mounting frames for the Yamaha Genesis 4-cylinder (YG4) which comes from either the RX1 or Apex snowmobiles. I provide the gearbox, shaft coupling and adapters, as well as other parts such as cooling system components and wire harnesses.

The smallest stock YG3 puts out 120 HP at 160 lbs all-up weight, while the most recent 165HP YG4 EXUP builds I am currently working on for 2 customers (which also provides 30% more HP throughout the midrange, effectively making these engines altitude-compensating over other similar Apex's w/o EXUP valves,) weigh about the same as a Rotax 914 or 915 which cannot put out anywhere near this HP, even at the very short intervals allowed before turning into a flying grenade.

There is no factory-stock engine, including a Rotax, in the same weight category 160-175 lbs all-up that puts out 120-165 HP reliably and constantly, let alone just punching it momentarily for a few minutes like a 914 or 915 allows. I have had a steady stream of customers coming to me over the past five years who left Rotax behind because 1) it broke, 2) the carbs are junk 3) no power and/or 4) it costs five to ten times as much as a Yamaha YG3 or YG4.

We now have tens of thousands of fleet flight hours. Jump in, the water's fine.

My newest project for a customer in Nebraska is a Yamaha Sidewinder 200HP turbo-charged YG3, stock out of the box. Those engines are available for 1/3 the price of a Rotax 914 that puts out 115 HP for five minutes max and weighs about the same.

My last completed project shipping out this week is on the other end of the spectrum: a 2-cylinder, Yamaha Phazer 4-stroke, water-cooled, 80HP, EFI engine weighing 88 pounds, ~130 lbs with everything added on.

Feel free to contact me by email to Info@MohawkAeroCraft.com and I will send you a ZIP file with all the info you need to get properly informed and started saving thousands upon thousands of dollars, and getting REAL performance for a change.

Video of the Highlander with Yamaha engine: https://youtu.be/hoEGhSKhiAc
radfordc

Return to Other Engines