Electric Motor?

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Electric Motor?

Postby jtb347 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:02 pm

I know this is actually a very old topic, but I was wondering if Sonex has any plans to revisit the e-flite system they put in a Waiex ~10 years ago? A lot has happened in the world of batteries and motors since the last update in 2011. I think the electric motor system would be an awesome self-launch/sustain option for the Xenos. You might not be able to do XC with electric yet, but I bet you could get to 3000' a couple times or prevent a land-out. I guess I'm just curious if there is much interest in this, or if Sonex has abandoned the idea indefinitely.
- John
jtb347

Re: Electric Motor?

Postby racaldwell » Wed May 15, 2019 4:26 pm

I have interest in this. Too bad I have not seen an affordable solution put on the market yet. The Pipistrel solution is out of my range. Even the little German sustainer motor with folding prop blades that attach to the front of sailplanes is very expensive. The new CAMit 3300 I bought for my Xenos was not cheap but it was compared to electric prices. And the Camit has 127 hp!

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Return to Other Engines