Correct Engine Oil for VW

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Correct Engine Oil for VW

Postby lutorm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:13 am

WesRagle wrote:1) The statement "Synthetic oils are incompatible with 100LL fuel and must not be used." and the fact that Penn-Grade 1 is a "Synthetic Blend".

I believe the idea is that you need at least some mineral oil content, since that's what can suspend the lead products. It's not so much that "synthetic is incompatible" in the sense that any synthetic is bad, it just can't be all synthetic. Since synthetics have superior lubrication characteristics I guess it's advantageous to have some of it, even when using 100LL.
lutorm

Postby Rynoth » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:31 am

lutorm wrote:
WesRagle wrote:1) The statement "Synthetic oils are incompatible with 100LL fuel and must not be used." and the fact that Penn-Grade 1 is a "Synthetic Blend".

I believe the idea is that you need at least some mineral oil content, since that's what can suspend the lead products. It's not so much that "synthetic is incompatible" in the sense that any synthetic is bad, it just can't be all synthetic. Since synthetics have superior lubrication characteristics I guess it's advantageous to have some of it, even when using 100LL.

This is correct, there are a few places in the manual where it may say "synthetic not approved" where it would be clearer if it said what it meant, "FULLY synthetic not approved."
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby WesRagle » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:15 am

Rynoth wrote:
lutorm wrote:

This is correct, there are a few places in the manual where it may say "synthetic not approved" where it would be clearer if it said what it meant, "FULLY synthetic not approved."

I agree. I just noted it as a confusion factor because the word "incompatible" suggests that something bad will happen if synthetic oil is present. Just a poor choice of words.

Me, I've already made my choice.

Hope to crank the engine this fall. Moving along at a glacial pace.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi Guys,

So, my engine now has over 20 hours on it. I'm about ready to say I'm past break in. I have been using PennGrade 1 semi-synthetic to cover any high oil temps I might encounter during early phase I. I'm about ready to switch to a full mineral oil.

So, is this the stuff I want?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ4FIPQ?ie=UTF8&tag=cavalvoline-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00DJ4FIPQ

One funny (in retrospect) story. I was having oil temp problems during the first few flights. So, I would be at the airport at morning civil twilight trying to get some flight time while it was just 80 Deg. That wasn't good enough. The oil temperature would still get up to 230 Deg. F. On one flight I was landing due to high oil temp. While on final a set of head lights appeared in the wind screen. It was the airport manager making his morning check for "stuff" on the runway. By the time I balked that landing and got it on the ground my oil temp was 250 Deg. So, maybe the semi-synthetic helped a bit. I dumped the oil and took on a fresh load.

Thanks for Your Time,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby tx_swordguy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:55 pm

You have already been given advice seeing as this is an old thread. You chose to go the semi synthetic route. Whether or not the cylinders glazed or not is irrelevant at this point because you have 20 hrs on the engine. STRAIGHT aviation mineral oil is used for break in and at least first 50 hrs and even as high as the first 100 depending on who you talk to. It has been suggested you can start on a multi visc. oil such as 20w50 phillips XC and that is will still break in ok on that. DO NOT USE car oil in an aviation engine regardless of whether it was originally a car engine. They run at much different loads and temps and the oils react differently to what is going on in the engine. All that said your problem with temps is NOT the oil. It is getting the oil cool enough. One option is install an oil cooler. If you have one great. Now get that thing into an air supply that will allow enough movement to draw air through it. Generally the oil cooler should have baffling to force air up to the face of the cooler and not allow it to run over/around the side of it. Next part is to make a cowling exit opening big enough to allow the air that is built up infront of the cooler to go through and out the cowl. Usually getting air to the front of the cooler( if it is placed right) is not difficult. designing the exit area to force the air to draw through the cooler is the hard part. If no/not enough exit is in place the air just compresses on the face of the cooler without actually going through it. essentially it becomes a wall. If this has already been stated before in the old thread than I appologize
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Postby mike.smith » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:55 pm

chuckster wrote:As per Kerry just the other day. Aero vee non turbo. Valvoline vr-1 20w-50 non synthetic

For my AeroVee, the VR-1 is what I've used for 6 years and 500 hours, with no issues. I run 100LL exclusively, and use TCP fuel additive to scavenge the lead.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby WesRagle » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Hi Mark,

Are you going to be this way the rest of the day ;-)

I was advised by the engine builder to use 20w50 racing oil (with high zinc content) for break in and after break in. I had two choices, straight or semi synthetic. I do have a custom oil cooling system that I suspected might need work so I chose semi synthetic for break in thinking it would provide more protection in the event that I had high oil temps. I simply gave an example of one instance where it might have helped. I'm now ready to go straight instead of semi synthetic for what I assume would better compatibility with 100LL. I just don't want to hit the Buy Now button and find out I got the wrong stuff.

I live in Texas, of course I have an oil cooler. Don't be silly. I have the oil temperature sorted now. Last time up my cruise oil temp was 180 and my hottest CHT was 317. Oil consumption is minimal. I assume the cylinders are fine.

As it turns out you're just 2.9 miles out side my test area. I was thinking I might fly up there and meet you and the Onex guy with the RV4 canopy (sorry I forgot his name).

All the Best,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi Mike,

mike.smith wrote:
chuckster wrote:As per Kerry just the other day. Aero vee non turbo. Valvoline vr-1 20w-50 non synthetic

For my AeroVee, the VR-1 is what I've used for 6 years and 500 hours, with no issues. I run 100LL exclusively, and use TCP fuel additive to scavenge the lead.

Thanks. I'm on it.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby tx_swordguy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:46 pm

Wes I apologize for coming across as a jerk. Not meant that way and by all means if the actual engine manufacturer told you to use a certain oil by all means don't listen to me. I guess I fell into the trap of some guys ask a question of the group and when they are not getting the answer they wanted they just disregard the advice given to them and go on their way. That is annoying to people trying to help. I am sorry that I assumed you were doing that. I am glad you got your temp sorted out. I guess I misunderstood your post. I thought you were getting temps in excess of 230. I have been told repeatedly by those smarter than I that the detergents in car oil do not play well with an engine loaded and run like an aviation engine and then sitting for days or weeks before being run hard again. If it is being run daily the problems evidently are less of an issue is my understanding. There is a fly in down in Ranger texas this weekend and James (onex ) and I will be there on Saturday. Not sure if it is in your test area or not or even the legalities of flying into something like that under phase 1. I fly a red sonex with 97 on the sides. If you are there look me up and I promise not to be a jerk.
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Postby WesRagle » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:23 am

Hey Mark,

No worries. I thought maybe you were just having a bad day :-)

I was having Oil Temp problems. I had to add a little scoop to help the NACA vent. That's all it took to fix it. It may come off as things cool down and the engine breaks in.

My test area is a 65 nm radius around Mineral Wells. I'm hangared at Olney in the far NW quadrant of my test area. Ranger is in my test area but ... Right now I'm feeling a little vulnerable. Wouldn't want to take out an entire row of vintage aircraft.

What time are you guys going to be there. I might get a chance to drive in.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

PreviousNext