Rev master help

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Rev master help

Postby tx_swordguy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:07 pm

My buddy has a onex with a rev master 2300 that won’t start. I does not appear to be firing the plugs , we took all the top plugs out with them laying on the heads and I cannot see any sparking. I also tried holding one ata time tight against the head for grounding, still no spark. New plug old plugs no difference. He burned his stator up coming back from Osh and it was rebuilt by rev master. It has roughly 20 hrs since rebuild but has not been started or run for over 5 months. The rev master has 8 separate coils ,one for each plug so I really don’t think all four ( only checked easy top plugs) or 8 have gone bad. This ignition system is confusing for me so I would appreciate some help and maybe point me in a direction. It acts like it is not getting the electricity from the solenoid to the plugs to get started. It supposedly gets starting juice from battery through the solenoid and then the stator picks up and gives the running power after starting. It is turning over well and fuel is getting into and out of carb but no fire at all. Any help is appreciated, he is going to try calling revmaster but you guys might have an idea I could try.
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Re: Rev master help

Postby tx_swordguy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:59 pm

Update...
Got my buddies onex started finally. What ended up happening was a broken power wire from the starter to the electronics box on back of engine. That wire goes to the transformer that powers the bottom plugs only at startup. The broken wire was a solder joint hidden by shrink wrap . Solder joint was inflexible where the solder was but at the point that the solder stopped the wire was flexing enough to break. The broken wire was still held together by shrink wrap. The top spark plugs evidently don’t start firing until closer to 1000 rpm so the bottom plugs are powered by a transformer while starting. With a sparkplug tester on the top plugs ( much easier to get to) we were getting a very weak flash on the light but there was not enough juice to fire a plug. Anyway ,transformer needs power to fire the plugs on start up . Hope this helps someone else
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Return to Other Engines